Phoenix AZ: Need help adjusting schedule

Seems like most are 1gph. Trees are 2gph.

So you obviously want to make sure that you know exactly what output emitters you have. Are you using the default in Emitter nozzle from Rachio or did you create a custom one based off of @azdavidr spreadsheet.

Two things:

1. How established is your vegetation ? It could be that the 20" root depth is too deep. Backing off will increase frequency while dropping the amount that you water each time.
  2. Per @Modawg2k’s earlier question, are you using a custom zozzle and if so what’s the PR ?

Most of the vegetation is about 3-years old, except most of the trees are about 9 years old. Where do I check if it’s a custom nozzle? It looks like I’m just using emitter as the selection–not a custom one. Suggestion? Thanks!

Go back to the Drip Emitter Calculator I posted on Jul 2nd. Go through the entire thing. It walks you through how to create a custom emitter and what to set it to. If you’re using the default one I’m sure it’s pretty far off, and is likely why you’re underwatering.

1 Like

So I think your issue is with the emitter setting. The default Rachio emitter is 0.5 in/hr. Based off @azdavidr’s spreadsheet, my custom emitter is set to 0.34 in/hr for 2 GPH drips. So I’m telling Rachio that my 2 GPH emitters are putting out less water/time than you are telling yours with the 1 GPH. My drips run just over 2 hours each to reach 15" roots ( IMO your 20" roots could be too deep = longer run time, but more days between waterings)

1 Like

Is the .34 in/hr the field that says Precipitation Rate? If I change my root depth from 20 inches to 15 inches, plus if I change to the custom nozzle (emitter) with .34 what should the result be? More frequent, but shorter, watering? Thanks!

Don’t just use the 0.34 in/hr that @Modawg2k quoted. That number will vary depending on the maturity of your specific vegetation, and the emitter types and layout that you specifically have. You seem resistant to go through the calculator in its entirety, but I have to mention it again. If you’re going to drop your root depth do it first, then follow the calculator step by step. It was put together with the express purpose of teaching you how to set up your drip system with a Rachio controller.

I’m throwing in the towel on this Rachio. Does anyone have a referral to a Rachio expert that can come to my house and set this up? I’m in Scottsdale not far from West World. I just can’t sink additional time/effort into this and don’t want to risk losing my landscaping. Thanks!

In that case set up a fixed schedule. No need to lose any vegetation.

1 Like