Phoenix AZ: Need help adjusting schedule

@tmcgahey My boxwoods are doing great also. My troublemaker is the orange jubilees this time of the year. I’m adding some 2GPH to their existing one to give them 8 gallons per 3’ canopy guidelines. But they, along with my bougainvillea torch glows get hit by caterpillars this time of year and I just applied some insecticide that I hope does the trick.

1 Like

See, and I left those out of my list, but I have two of them on either side of my outdoor fireplace, and they are doing awesome. I will add though that this is one of the larger shrubs that has 2 1gph emitters feeding it.

I’ll see if I can snap some pictures tonight…

1 Like

Mine have to hang out there getting 100% sun from beginning to end. You can see i added a 2GPH emitter on this one on the one side, and i moved the other one to same distance other side to get the canopy roots.

Curious if you guys use pressure compensating emitters or if anyone uses flag or non-pressure compensating emitters? Wondering if it makes a difference and even if you can mix?

I use flag emitters for my “one valve wonder” zone. It has a ton of plants on it that vary from drought tolerant to very thirsty. I would prefer to switch them all out to pressure compensating but there are a ton of emitters and I haven’t worked up the willpower to switch them all out. From what I’ve read it can cause issues with uneven watering, the emitters closest to the valve may output more water and the ones farthest will not get as much. I do have a couple of spots where everything I’ve planted has died on me which may be cause by underwatering but I can’t say for sure.

The original emitters in my yard I’m not 100% positive, but any that I have replaced have been pressure compensating. Both my old and new are the round style, I just don’t know if those come without pressure compensating or not…

Are you sure that is a 2gph (bottom of the picture? Usually emitters are pretty standardized with color and red usually indicates 4pgh.

That emitter was transplanted from another plant from the original landscape builder. I’ve measured them and they do output 2 gph. I did wonder about color variations, but I just bought a few emitters on amazon and you can see that their Red is 2gph (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049C5G18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

However, i bought some 1/2 GPH at Lowe’s and they are red also. Are colors maybe consistent across just the manufacturer?

yeah I’ve seen differences in the coloring between rainbird emitters and Drip emitters so I don’t think they are completely consistent across manufacturers.

Looks like you are right. Rainbird does a 2gph in red. Most red I have seen are either .5 or 4gph.

As promised. @Modawg2k, I may have misspoke. I think I may have Yellowbells.

I may have to experiment with dropping my shrub crop coefficient back down from 0.7 based on what you guys are successful with. I added some soil amendments to my boxwoods a couple of months ago. Maybe that was the real problem?

I’m back on the thread as my landscaper insists that we haven’t been watering the plants enough. He said to me last week that he’s concerned that if we don’t increase the watering even the trees will die. What are some ideas how I can change settings so that it waters at a higher level across the board? Thanks!

i know you posted several months back, but put up some new screen shots of your settings and we can figure it out

Let me know what screen shots will help? Here’s a couple. Thanks!

what’s in this backyard zone? trees and shrubs?

I have 4 zones setup: Trees, Backyard, Front Yard, and one zone with 2 small trees and a shrub (don’t know why they did that). In this backyard zone, we have all the vegetation/plants/shrubs/vines except the trees.

Are the plants looking stressed? Observation of plant health is really an important factor. If the vegetation is showing signs of stress, you may want to rethink your settings. Are the leaves turning brown or wilting?

1 Like

Yes. I would say that they are ALL looking stressed–except I don’t know how to tell on the trees (but the landscaper thought the trees are stressed too).

Forgive me if this information is above, but did you figure out what size your emitters are?