Overlapping Zones

Hello! Excited new owner of a Rachio 3 here! So I have everything installed and setup but have a question about 2 overlapping zones in my backyard. They overlap coverage by probably about 4/5. How should I set that up so the backyard doesn’t get over watered? I’m using flex daily. Thanks!

Are you saying about 4/5 of the area is covered by two zones? Maybe a drawing would help. I mostly asked because usually, each head touches the adjacent heads. This means to me that all zones are overlapping by one sprinkler. I have three long, skinny (one head wide) zones which means they overlap 100%.

Thanks for the reply! So basically zone A is along the back fence line and covers about 4/5 of the backyard. Zone B is along the patio and sprays towards the fence about 4/5 of the way. Hopefully my drawing makes sense.

Yes, I believe your drawing makes sense. I have expanded the arcs and added a third zone so it looks more similar to mine. It is unlikely that any zone will be anywhere close to perfect, yet my opinion is that every head touches all adjoining heads. Ideally, this would give a pattern similar to below. I use flex daily and overwatering from overlapping is not an issue as, for the most part, the coverage is really pretty even (again, ideal circumstances). Hopefully this all makes sense. I hope others jump in here as well to give their opinions.
Although it is not part of the equations from my understanding, I calculate the zone area by drawing a line 1/2 way between zones.

It does! Thank you! We’ve had so much rain lately the sprinklers haven’t gone off since I got it! But I’ll let things go as is and adjust as needed.

Of course, not saying that it is impossible to pool. Soil type, slopes, low spots, etc. can affect that.

All correctly installed sprinkler systems are expected to have overlap whether within the same zone, or neighboring zones. In a perfect world, like @Thomas_Lerman said, would be for each head to reach each and every other head in the system. but that isn’t always possible. In most cases, you will end up with patches of grass that might be slightly underwatered, or other areas that might be overwatered. You can calculate efficiency by doing a catch cup test if you are interested in seeing how efficient your setup is!