One power adapter for 2 Rachio units

Hello Community,
I’ve been very happy with Rachio on old home. We are finishing up a new home and are needing 2 controllers. However, we only have an outlet with room for 1 power adapter. I can buy a splitter for cheap, but having another outlet put in is much more expensive and a hassle. Will one AC adaptor power 2 Rachio’s? If unsure, and I just try it, is there a risk of underpowering the unit and damaging it? I really don’t want to add another outlet.

thanks

I am doubting that it will work as it is common practice to provide a bit more power as the device needs, not an overabundance. It seems like it might “brown out” and not damage, but I could be wrong. Can you not do a small outlet splitter?

Shouldn’t be too much of an issue, as long as you make sure to schedule controllers in such a way that they never try to water at the same time (something you’d likely have to do anyway to account for a water source availability). Supply is enough to power a controller and about three valves, or two controllers and two valves, etc.
How are you planning on splitting the supply? I’d recommend a generic Y splitter, but these tend to be short to span two controllers.
Will you have to share commons and/or master valve?

@ddeatsch - can a triple tap plug be plugged into the one outlet and then the two Rachio adapters plugged into each end of the triple tap plug? Like →

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Heavy-Duty-Grounded-Triple-Tap-Adapter-LA-26/306625657

While @gene is right about one adapter can power two units, if there are master valves on both systems and the reduce water hammer option is enabled I think it might be cutting it too close. And Murphy is alive and well, so there will be a time where both systems will want to water due to settings.

Therefore, I would vote for two adapters with some sort of plug adapter instead of a Y splitter. My $0.02 - normally Gene and I are aligned. This time we’re not.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the feedback.

The zones are set up with the lawn on one system and the flowerbeds, pool, and water feature set up on the other system. That way I can manage them do they will never both be on at the same time. It is all on a well, so we are worried about water pressure if we have too much going at the same time.

I was planning on just getting a “Y-splitter”. I’ll get an extra one in case it goes out.

If sending more power to the unit is a common safeguard, do you know which AC/AC adapter people use? I’ve had a bit of an issue finding a good one.