NEW USER : Rachio Model : 16ZULW-B

Hi,
we recently bought a house that’s equipped with Rachio model 16ZULW-B.
and it was connected to an old network.
I’m looking for user manual on how to reset and connect it to my new WiFI network.
appreciate your help.
Viktor.

This might get it for you: How do I update Wi-Fi on my controller? Wi-Fi Reset

Have they transferred ownership to you of the controller?

1 Like

@Viktor_sanatan - @Thomas_Lerman nailed both items - WiFi reset and has the controller been transfered to you. If the controller hasn’t been transfered to you, you will need to send a picture (proof of possession) of the serial number to support at Rachio for them to transfer the controller to you.

For reference, the 16ZLUW-B is known as Generation 2 of the Rachio controller (as there are different directions to reset Wi-Fi for each of the 3 current generations of Rachio controllers).

1 Like

I should have included the following: Transfer ownership of a Rachio controller to your account

1 Like

many thanks for this useful information.
I was busy trying to setup the 2.4GHz WiFi in this new place as it appears in the app that the Rachio only takes 2.4GHz.
Moreover my 5GHz can’t reach where Rachio is fixed.
My first objective would be to have 2.4GHz setup and then follow the actions suggested above.

In the meantime, I was able to factory reset the Rachio and install the app.
Then add the Rachio to my account by “scanning” the barcode, only after being connected to 2.4GHz WiFi.
my question is, how to setup the WiFi to Sprinkler, is it always through App?
and how App can identify the Sprinkler, is it by scanning the barcode?
thanks for your continued support.
cheers,
Viktor

@Viktor_sanatan -

1. how to setup the WiFi to Sprinkler, is it always through App? If by Sprinkler you mean the Rachio appliance, then yes it is the Rachio App - either Android or iOS app. Once connected there is an internet interface that can be used.

2. App can identify the Sprinkler, is it by scanning the barcode? Again if by Sprinkler you mean the Rachio appliance then yes it is the serial number/barcode.

Now the zones and settings need to be configured to work for this specific location. Use the app to run through the zone setup.

Thanks @DLane , yes, I mean by Sprinkler Hub/Rachio appliance.
I did install the app on my phone, now all I need is to have that 2.4GHz WiFi coverage to that secluded sport where the appliance is located :thinking: :grinning:
have a nice week ahead.

@Viktor_sanatan - Not knowing the layout where the appliance is, one option is ethernet over powerline. Rachio won’t need much bandwidth, so it should be fine. The prior owner somehow had WiFi coverage to that seculded spot. Enjoy and welcome to the community.

But the Rachio controllers have no Ethernet ports, so he’d have to use the Ethernet over Powerline to back-haul for an AP.

@Viktor_sanatan - There are Ethernet over Powerline devices that have WiFi on the far end - their own access point.

That’s right, has to be Ethernet over Power.
I’ll try with a WiFi extender once I get one tomorrow and keep you posted.
becasue of factory reset , I suppose I have to re-program the device for weather settings and timing.
thanks.
Viktor

I would recommend against this approach. You’d be better-off with an Ethernet over Powerline solution, with an AP at the far end, IMO.

@DLane is correct: There are Ethernet over Powerline solutions with WiFi APs at one end. One such solution would be a Comtrend PG-9172 + Comtrend PG-9171N. About $100 for the pair.

(N.B.: I have no experience with the WiFi version of the product. Their straight Ethernet over Powerline adapters I’ve found to be robust, though not particularly speedy. ETA: I just ordered one of these to play with. Will report back.)

Update to my last post: Re: Comtrend PG-9171n Ethernet over Powerline adaptor with WiFi AP

The thing was delivered yesterday. It gave me some grief getting it to link to the existing pair of PG-9172 EoP adaptors. Finally I factory-reset it and it associated properly.

The user interfaces and admin access are kind of strange. The device has separate MAC addresses for its Ethernet port and its WiFi AP–thus each ends-up with its own IP addresses. That wasn’t particularly surprising. This was, though: To configure the Ethernet bit you have to access the web config at its IP address and to configure the WiFi AP you have to access its web GUI at its IP address :crazy_face:

Furthermore: The Ethernet web GUI requires a password only, while the WiFi web GUI has both a username and password. The firmware is also updated, separately, for each. Weird.

And the configuration of them is about as clear as mud–even for somebody like me, who’s installed, configured, and maintained a wide variety of networking gear over the years.

But, once you get it all worked-out, it appears to work well.

Did a bandwidth test from my Apple iPad to our LAN server. On our EnGenius AP I got something like 250Mb/s. Best I could get from the Comtend thingy was 80Mb/s - and that was with full WiFi signal strength.

It is, like the two PG-9172 Ethernet adaptors, solid as a rock, though.

I’ll run it indoors, using it with my iPad, for a few days, then relocate it to the shed in the back yard for further testing.

1 Like

hello everyone,
a couple of reasons why I went with WiFi, nothing new but classic…
doesn’t need any RJ45 wiring to the Rachio hub which is located outside the house and even with the cabling, I don’t want any exposed connections to the weather.
I bought a TP-Link WiFi extender and it working OK as of now.
Haven’t completely played with the scheduling and weather sync.
once again many thanks for your feedback and this warm welcome to the Rachio community.
Viktor

1 Like

(N.B.: I realize the OP has fulfilled his needs with a WiFi range extender.)

To wrap up my Comtrend Ethernet over Powerline + WiFi AP experiments…

After running the Comtrend PG9171n Ethernet over Powerline + WiFi AP test inside, using my iPad on it for about three days, I just moved it out to the shed, which is about halfway down and on one side of the back yard.

I’m honestly surprised at the coverage I’m getting from it–especially because it’s plugged into an outlet at normal outlet height: ±16 inches off the floor and I have the AP’s power down to 70% to reduce the overlap with the AP in the house. The yard is 90 ft. wide and it’s about 100 ft. to the end of the mowed area. I saw 2-4 bars of WiFi signal strength on both my iPhone and iPad throughout the area.

In summary: I’m pretty impressed with these devices.