New Rachio 2 controller setup with rain bird CP075

Hi,
I just got my hands on a Rachio 2 and I went to the local big box store and bought fittings and 2x Rain Bird Heavy Dyut In-Line valves with 24VAC solenoids (Rain bird model CP075)

I did not make a sealed system under pressure, I used adapters to hose threads and hooked it up to hose inputs and outputs.

Im trying to test this with a manual zone 1 run - I wired it up and used the cell phone app to do a 3 minute manual run of the zone 1

But the rain bird valve is never closed, even when not under power. I am confused. Arent these supposed to be off by default?

I hear a buzzing sound when the zone is active, which stops when I stop the run, but the water never gets shut off.

I hope this isnt a silly simple thing in the FAQ - Happy if someone wants to point me to that.

Questions:

1. Do i need a pressurized system to use this solenoid valve?
  2. Is the CP075 supposed to be off / closed until powered?
  3. What else am I missing here?

thanks for any pointers
-Matt

make sure the solenoid is fully screwed in by hand. A quarter turn off and the valve is open (this is how you manually operate the valve). Also ensure the bleed is closed, the small little valve on top next to the solenoid.

I don’t know if the valve requires pressure to properly close, but it is an off by default valve. In fact, it is the exact thing as RainBird 75DV

Hi ady624,

Thank you for your reply - I returned the Rainbird and got an Orbit 3/4" jar top valve (57460) instead and everything works as expected now.

The first time I ran a bit of water through it after installation, it seemed to charge up the valve and close itself down within a couple of seconds.

The orbit valve is now closed even when the output side is not connected to anything and with no power. Its letting zero water through.

I think the RainBird valve may have been defective or at least incompatible - didnt determine which.
Appreciate the reply

Matt in Seattle

1 Like

Just a word of advice, Orbit is seen as sub-par by most irrigation guys, Rain Bird DVF being the most go-to option. There are other more expensive ones, too. Your mileage may vary, of course.