Master zone fault

Hello fellow Rachio experts…have a wiring question. I am getting master zone fault on all zones. If I remove the wire from the ‘M’ the zones run without error but no water. I do have a well that the “master” wire is connected to from Rachio but I don’t actually have a valve in the ground, it’s connected to some wiring in the well pump controller.

Any ideas? Also, all zones ohm out and voltage is good as well.

1 Like

Do you happen to have the “Valve Monitoring” option? The valve could ohm out and the voltage be good, but my understanding is that the master valve/pump can be drawing more current (amps) causing the “fault”.

Starting at Zone Fault notifications started popping up - #5 by DLane, it has some tips on some things to try.

1 Like

Yes I do have valve monitoring but the master is not a zone. I don’t even have a valve, it’s very strange.

As is in the link I posted, I would suggest temporarily take the M wire and put it on an unused zone terminal (or take of the zone wire if all are used), then run that “zone”.

1 Like

@CourtneyG - sounds like the M terminal is connected to a pump start relay (PSR). Some PSRs pull too much amperage for Rachio. Posting make and model or label specifics from existing PSR might help trouble shoot the issue.

Two solutions:

1. Change out the pump start relay to one that pulls less amperage on the trigger circuit.

2. Get a separate 24 VAC power supply and a single pole single throw relay to power the existing pump start relay. Use the Rachio M terminal to trigger the relay (the coil connection to M and the other side of the coil connect to a Rachio C terminal and the power supply wire to the common terminal and then on to the pump start relay from the pole terminal returning to the power supply instead of the Rachio C terminal.

1 Like

Doing as I suggested in my last post will tell you how much amperage it is pulling. It can also change over time.

1 Like