Did you know that July is Smart Irrigation Month, started by The Irrigation Association? It has national recognition, endorsed by Congress, manufacturers, utilities, cities and states across the United States.
How can you make your system more efficient?
- Install a Rachio controller
- Conduct a system checkup.
- Raise sunken sprinklers. Correct heads out of alignment.
- Retrofit standard spray bodies with pressure regulated versions.
- Prune shrubs that are blocking irrigation sprays and rotors. Move heads where necessary.
- Convert spray zones in beds to drip irrigation. Rain Bird manufactures its 1800 Retro head. You can screw on caps to other existing heads.
- Add mulch to decrease soil moisture evaporation
- Check for pipe leaks. Check your water meter. Is it spinning when no water is running? If the red dial is spinning, you have a leak. You will probably need a licensed plumber.
- Remove Rain Bird VAN nozzles. They use double the amount of water as fixed spray nozzles. Replace with fixed arc nozzles. If adjustable nozzles are needed, install Rain Bird HE-VAN nozzles or Hunter adjustable nozzles, which have a similar output as Hunter fixed arc nozzles.
Here is the website for Smart Irrigation Month: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irrigation.org/IA/Resources/Smart-Irrigation-Month/Consumers/IA/Resources/Consumers.aspx%3Fhkey%3D0b9bcbcb-a8b5-4cf5-ae04-eda0b2679281&ved=2ahUKEwjI_fC2xvHbAhV5GzQIHdFrCD4QFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2FQ6dWikJgg8hreTISeNw2