It's Time To [Rachio] Thrive! :thrive:

So I bought an 11,000sq ft kit, and @revtoe35 bought a 5,000sq ft kit, and we have what looks like the same kit…how can I confirm I have thr right kit before I apply?

As for the plants, if this works well on my lawn (which I don’t expect it NOT to) I would probably buy another kit to use for plants and trees.

2 Likes

@tmcgahey, I can confirm that your kit is correct. We’re looking at @revot35’s kit to confirm that what he received for his lawn size is correct.

Here is what my shipping notice stated:

This shipment includes the following items:

THRV5-7000
Thrive 7000 Sq Ft. Subscription - 5 Bottles (Ships every 12 months)

1 Like

Chris and team,

How is the Thrive being tracked in Rachio? Is it actually going to change anything? I have 2 Rachio’s on my property, and ordered my kit based on all my grass (split across the 2 units). Seems I can only enter the code once. Code is entered with the Rachio that has about 90% of my grass, so not the biggest deal if it can’t pair with the other Rachio.

Hey Troy,

The short answer is that we ask you to let us know when you apply the product in the app and then we adjust the crop coefficient based on a number of reduction factors, taking into account seasonality. An active microbiome creates physiological changes in the lawn, including increasing soil porosity and increasing the grass’s transpiration efficiency. Effectively, this reduces the crop coefficient (relative proportion of daily reference ET that the plant transpires) during the application.

I believe you might be in Koppen climate BWh. In that region, we believe we can get you another ~2.2 skips/45 days. Attached is a graph that shows the growth rates for cool and warm season grass and the microbiome activity (assuming an ample food source for it) over the months. You can see how a microbiome-deficient soil puts your grass at the mercy of what its root ecosystem can do on its own, and getting an assist from and active microbiome allows it to thrive at more extreme temperatures.

image%20(59)

With regard to your second question. At this time, a thrive subscription is tied to one Rachio controller. @simonhill (our VP of Product) and I were talking through this this morning and we might be able to get around this dependency soon and can get back to you on that.

Thanks @chris! So not having Rachio know that I’m applying Thrive on my 8 zone unit might, at best, save a couple waterings, but nothing else?

Or, is there a chance of creating just another code for me to use on that controller?

Correct, a couple of waterings every 45 days.

wrt to generating another code, yeah, that’s what we’re thinking. I’ll get back to you soon on that.

1 Like

Looks like I got my second code. I’ll get it applied this weekend and report back!

2 Likes

Just sprayed my first round of Thrive on my nearly 11,000sq ft lawn. Not sure why @Revtoe35 application took so long. I was probably 1h30m start to finish, and that was moving to 6 different lawn areas and dragging hoses all over.

While I will say, this is the most complete kit I’ve ever seen. From product, to spray nozzles (multiple), extra hose washers, and even a freaking hose! That being said, I think I would almost prefer a generic applicator (like an Ortho sprayer) with bulk solution. I found it was difficult to manage how much needed to go down for each lawn area I had. I think I was light on the application on the first couple lawn areas, and heavier on the last few. Having a chart that said how many ounces needed per X square footage would help make sure I got the right amount down. Using the Rachio site to calculate each yard size, and filling the cup with the exact needed amount for each yard section would have been helpful for me.

But, I’m excited to see what it does in the coming months!

3 Likes

Good for you! Glad to hear your experience was pretty good. I hope I have better luck next time. I’m looking forward to hearing about your results too.

2 Likes

I recently purchased a Rachio controller and a Thrive subscription. I applied Thrive 10 days ago and I’m looking forward to watching the progress on my lawn. I’m in the process of overseeding patches of my lawn that really need it (things are just now warming up in the PNW).

My question is… typically one would apply a starter or “booster” fertilizer (Like the Simple Lawn Solutions 3-18-18 liquid fertilizer) when the new seed starts to germinate. Should I still do that in this case or is the Thrive application enough? Just wondering if it’s overkill to spray the liquid fertilizer now that Thrive has already been applied.

Hey @dano - are you using a mulch along with your seed? Also, about how much sqft of patching are you doing?

1 Like

It turns out I’m covering about half my yard. I have a lot of bare spots the need sprucing up! I’m not using mulch but I did dethatch and I am aerating as well so that provides some cover. (I’ll probably add a little soil or mulch to the two or three really bare spots.) But then just planning to spread the seed and add a fixed schedule to keep them watered for the next week or two. I’ve already done a small “test spot” and it all worked great… so just applying this to the rest of the lawn that needs it.

My only question is whether I should worry about adding a booster fertilizer, as is typically recommended, after the seeds germinate and begin to sprout. I don’t want to add the fertilizer if you think it will mess with the Thrive process.

Ok, got it. Adding some starter fertilizer won’t affect the Thrive process, but if you’re up for it, maybe see how far you can get w/out using the booster fertilizer. Your seeds will start to sprout very close to when your soil’s microbe activity is at its peak (assuming ~2-3 weeks for the seeds to spout) from your 1st Thrive application, making the nutrients already in your soil bioavailable to your new grass.

1 Like

Soil temperature 55, microbe activity at its peak, dethatched and aerated and ready to go. I say let’s let it run and see what happens! I’ll skip the fertilizer booster and let you know how it goes. But we’ll probably have to wait a month or so to see real results. Thanks for the response.

Right on! Looking forward to hearing how it goes, and here to help however I can. Thank you for supporting our company and products!

I have used. I cant give a feedback on product itself but i would say dont waste money on Thrive.

Applicator system is poor. I have removed regulator, diluted the product and it still does not work.
After spending 1.5 hour in yard, mr arms are hurting from holding the bottle but realized that product did not even get used.

@gargarvind - I’ve very sorry to hear that. As I’m guessing you’ve read here, we have had issues with some of the product being over-concentrated (won’t hurt your lawn) and leading to the bad experience you encountered. I’d be happy to personally jump on a call with you or communicate in any medium you like to try and resolve/make right your experience. We acknowledge the issue and are sorry the inefficient use of your time. I know how valuable it is.

4 Likes

You can call me. kindly tell me where shall i send you my cell phone no since i dont want to leave it on open forum.

Arvind Garg

Click on @chris 's picture and then click Message. This will send him a private message viewable only by him.