It's Time To [Rachio] Thrive! :thrive:

I’m very interested in trying Thrive. I just want to ensure it is compatible with another yard product I use. It’s a liquid aeration product called exigrow by Truspring. Can you take a look and let me know if it’s compatible.

https://www.moopti.com/trugrow

Hi @Lawnmaster - it’s up to you on the mowing side and I’d say use your best judgement based on your grass length and the ability to get the product into the soil. The key is really making sure that the microalgae makes its way down into the soil at a depth relative to your root length—probably a good couple or so inches. We’ve set up a quick run feature that you can use to water it in once you’ve marked applied.

Rain shouldn’t matter, especially if you’re talking after application. If your soil is super dry to start, you may want to do a quick run on your zones for a minute or two to saturate your soil a bit before applying. Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @Revtoe35 - unfortunately we can’t speak to their compatibility as we don’t know much about truSpring. Thrive is a microalgae that is a superfood for microbes. As they eat, quickly multiply and move around the soil, they naturally aerate and aggregate it. We tell customers that you don’t need to do additional aeration if you use our product because of that. I can’t say whether we are a substitute for truSpring though.

Here’s some data that shows the affect of the product on soil:

And here’s a picture of a soil plug I pulled from my lawn today (I’m in CO). You can see soil aggregation there and also dense 7" roots w/ KB!

2 Likes

I’m in Colorado also (Littleton) with clay soil. What type of soil is your yard?

This really looks interesting.

So I applied my first bottle. Some honest feedback incoming.

One bottle took nearly an entire hour to apply. I have a 5500 square foot yard and it was essentially enough to liberally apply 3x to my entire yard. Is that by design?

I’m very excited to see what it can do to my yard.

Also, I’d say if there is a way you can engineer a way to inject this through the irrigation system, I’d be extatic :smiley:

@FauxTony Thank you for the feedback. I know the team @mckynzee/@chris are looking at opportunities around the application time and flow rate.

We very much appreciate you as a customer and are continuing to make a great product experience for everyone.

:cheers:

1 Like

Mine is a clay loam.

Hi @FauxTony

One bottle is meant to cover the entire 5500, so you will want to go through the entire 24 oz bottle in one application. Some of our first batches of microalgae were a little overly concentrated. This won’t harm your yard in anyway. You actually end up with more product, and therefore more food for your microbiome! But it takes longer to get through.

To help with bottles that are overly concentrated, or if you just want to spray any of them at a faster pace, you can use the regulator at the bottom of the tube. If you pop it off, you can spray on 3X faster

Also, if you swirl it every so often when you are applying, you’ll keep the organic matter better suspended and mixed.

6 Likes

Thanks for the responses! I’ll definitely give that a go the next time around.

Looks like I’ll have a long day ahead of me…my 11,000sq ft kit is in route!

Better bring a few cold :beer: with you and take off the limiter that @chris mentioned earlier :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hey Troy! We definitely recommend taking the regulator off on the 64 oz bottles.

And make sure the sediment is off the bottom of the bottle.

4 Likes

Thanks Chris - I ordered mine this weekend. It will be interesting to see how the yard does this year. I did skip the regular aeration this spring so this is perfect timing.

Kind of pricey, but if it works, it will be worth it.

2 Likes

Guess I’m going to be a busy man! 11,000sq ft worth of fertilizer!

I do have a question though…this is made for the grass, but a lot of thr documentation talks about plants. Can this also be used to help soils around the bases of shrubs and trees?

2 Likes

Thrive arrived yesterday and did my first application this morning. Here are my initial thoughts: Very impressed with the product when it arrived but application was not good for me. I followed the instructions. After going over my yard 4 times and realizing not much product was being applied, I removed the plug from the applicator tube. Still very slow progress. After 2 hours I had 1.5 inches of product still in the bottle. I was a little frustrated so I put the remainder of the product in an ortho application bottle and finished in about 5 minutes. I will try the next application when it’s time. Perhaps there was a defect in this applicator or bottle. If it takes 2 hours for 5000 sq ft, I don’t think I will stick with it. Would love to hear more feedback on others application time. I shook the bottle extremely well. Continue to shake during application and removed the application tube several times to ensure it was pulling product.

Seems strange I received the same amount as the user above with 11000 sq ft. I have about 5500 sq ft.

3 Likes

That is odd…

@laura.bauman @franz?

Different concentrations?

Unsure how it happened, but already pinged @Revtoe35 to get more info :slight_smile: Thanks friends!

Thrive is specially created for use on turf and grassy areas but is safe and effective on other plants as well. We don’t currently recommend directly applying it to trees and shrubs since it will likely take away from the grass’s nutrition.

:cheers:

2 Likes

Hey Troy!

Building on what Lo is saying here, your annual Thrive kit is a specially portioned version of our microalgae that breaks up lawn applications for the entire year (spring, summer and fall) into correctly sized bottles for your lawn size (unless we send the wrong shipment of course :slight_smile: ). Microalgae is good for many types of plants as it’s retoring the soil, and healthy soil is the foundation for healthy plants. So, you can definitely use it on other plants, and we can assist with instructions to do so, but keep in mind you’ll have less for your lawn.

2 Likes