It rained last night and this morning, why didn't Rachio skip watering today?

It rained last night and this morning, I woke up this morning and saw Rachio watering my lawn?

Please let me know if I can submit anything to help the tech people troubleshoot this.

Thank you!

It was pouring this morning at my house and still my sprinklers came on.

What is your Rain Skip Threshold set to and do you have Rain Skip turned on for the schedule?

Go into moisture levels, look at details and see if precip recorded. If you are using a PWS, perhaps that PWS has stopped recording precipitation data (I just had to change the one I was using for that reason). If you are not using a PWS, I would recommend using one so that you get precip data closer to your actual location.

What is a PWS? I tried searching google to no avail.

Where did you buy yours?

Thank you!

PWS = personal weather station. You can choose a weather station close to your house by going to controller settings->weather intelligence->weather network then select weather starion

2 Likes

1st pic shows which PWS I have selected:

Then you select more info which takes you to that weather station:

Then I had to scroll down and select monthly and go back to June to see any rain in the graph but you need to make sure which ever one you select it measures rain

3 Likes

Thank you! My controller was set to aggregate and maybe that’s why it watered. I found one that’s just 1 block away.

BTW, do we know if these are personal weather stations that can be disabled or malfunction at anytime?

I wouldn’t mind investing in one.

How much was yours and what make/model is it?

@CurvedSpaceTime, this isn’t mine. It is about .28 miles from my house and I just keep an eye on it and make sure it continues to measure rain. I had one last year that was 1/2 mile from my house and actually got a notification that this one was closer to me so I changed over to it and haven’t had any issues.

I don’t think they are much more than a hundred dollars though.

1 Like

I don’t have my own yet, but I am getting ready to get a AcuRite 01210M ($170 on Amazon). I’ve been talking to @Gene who knows what he’s doing, and that is what he recommended. Once you install it and get your WU ID, he will be happy to set it up for Rachio to use.

2 Likes

Hi

I live in Parker Colorado and installed Rachio sprinkler system.It was rained yesterday 14July heavily with precipitation around 0.4 showing today 15 july.Weather station is KAPA aroun 5.18 miles can you please tell why in morning sprinkler turned on while rain heavily in night?

@mailpankaj if you look in your history there should be a message that explains what happened with the rain skip. Below is an example of a message I got as this morning’s run of my Flex Monthly schedule started. My rain skip is set to .25. Not sure if you get this message if you use a PWS instead of Weather Intelligence.

I took a look at the KAPA weather station and it doesn’t look like it rained all that much last evening - if I am reading the data correctly it rained .07 last night. And then another .04 this morning not the .4 you have reported. What is your rain skip set to and is rain skip turned on for your schedule?

@Alturia Thanks for reply.Rain skip set to 0.123". Sorry i see Precipitation as 0.4in in Weather app where location set to Parker. Can you tell me steps excatly how you see last night rain and morning rain? Also what you suggest should i change Weather station to PWS or use KAPA?

Thanks
Pankaj

NOAA weather stations publish a 3 day history of observations. Here’s a link to the last 3 days for KAPA. You’ll see that they are showing .07 for last night and .04 for today. I can’t help you in your choice of weather stations. I use Weather Intelligence rather than a single station. You’ll just have to try to pick a station that is closest to your climate at your house. BTW I think KAPA is a PWS - PWS is short for preferred weather station I think.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KAPA.html

@Alturia Thanks for reply. There is option in weather station if i select PWS it shows MID_E6996 which is 0.87 miles away which shows 0.25 in rain yesterday (https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=e6996&search=Search) select The last 24 hours of weather data can be viewed at Findu. and if i dont select it shows KAPA which is 5.18 miles away.Please suggest

I would use the site closer to your home that showed. 25 of precipitation. But I use Weather Intelligence so am not the person to ask. Perhaps someone else here can comment.