Intermatic Mechanical Timer Replace :)

Ok I’ll go tomorrow to homedepot to return the one i have and buy a service disconnect box

@rmadrid20 - you want some type of disconnect out by the pump so that when working on the pump electricity one can disconnect it out there and not have someone flip the circuit breaker back on. The QO200TR will work or as @Gene said simple pull out disconnect. As HD lists the QO200TR for ~$17 and a pull out disconnect for ~$8, I’m not sure I’d take the time to swap them out.

Per the terrific diagram that Gene posted, the black wires coming from the circuit breaker panel will go into one side of the disconnect box. I couldn’t find a picture of the actual connections, so I’m flying blind, but look for terminals labeled Line 1 and Line 2. On the other side of the disconnect switch, Load 1 and Load 2, connect those to the L1 in and L2 in (I think they are black) wires for the pump start relay. The L1 out and L2 out (I think they are red) wires go to the actual pump. It shouldn’t matter which wire goes to L1 or L2 or the pump terminals as they both carry current.

Finally, the MV/P and C(ommon) wires from the Rachio ports are connected to the blue 24 VAC wires in the pump start relay. It doesn’t matter which wire goes to which on the 24 VAC circuit.

1 Like

110 for the rachio is installed, i had an issues with the sprinklers on the front of the house so this is how far I’ve been gone on the wiring topic…

Small update :wink:

3 Likes

@rmadrid20 - progress! I’d go ahead and set up the Rachio unit as I only see light one lit.

Yes now that all my sprinkler heads are fixed (took me long time) and my rachio it’s mounted it’s time for the valves to be installed

1 Like

As you can see, the first pipe from the left it’s the main feeding the pump, the second one to the right (big pipe) its one zone and the last big pipe it’s a second Zone that splits in 2. I’m wonder if I can create a third zone since I have a 3 zone valve?

1 Like

@rmadrid20 - I thought there were three zones on that indexing valve. The water from the pump comes in at the top of the indexing valve - correct? And the I see three lines going out, one of which isn’t completely uncovered yet, the one at the bottom of the picture.

Yes the water come from the top you are correct then only two zones are working as you can see in the pic but for some odd reason one zone it’s split in 2 so what I’m going to do is go back and have 3 zones

Way to go! Great progress :slight_smile:

I think that split off zone is actually feeding the lonely sprinkler head you see on the picture, not sure if it really deserves a full separate zone.

I’m glad you’ve uncovered that one of your zones was dead, you where paying for at least half hour of running a pump for nothing, your ROI just got closer :slight_smile:

If you ever think of planting anything near the house, you may want to look into drip irrigation and hook that up as your 3rd zone.

Cheers,
Gene

1 Like

That 3rd zone it’s covering 6 sprinklers on the south side of the house and this is the progress she far, I’m so tired but I’m close to finish, I think the fuse box and the relay is tomorrow and we will be done guys :wink:

3 Likes

@rmadrid20 - looks great! Hopefully this will help/encourage others to de-install their indexing valve system. I don’t expect the disconnect and the pump relay to give you any fits after what you’ve done so far.

1 Like

Don’t think so either, I’ll follow the muck up you sent me, if I have any question you’ll se a post, any ways I’ll keep you updated with pics

1 Like

Very well done! Looks great :slight_smile:

Which valve box did you buy, I really like yours @Gene

1 Like

I guess I’m not the only one burning the midnight oil :slight_smile:

I’ve used a Valve base from Orbit (link) with a “standard” Valve Box (link). Keep in mind that a standard box will likely be too tall for the depth of your valves. Most stores will carry other valve boxes that may fit the Orbit base but are not as tall, such as this one from Lowes (link).

I’ve also bought some loose stone (as cheap as I could find) to put underneath to aid drainage (and keep the vales hopefully dry).

Cheers,
Gene

P.S. If you go back and look at my install (link), you will notice that originally I was planning on using a smaller box (first two pictures), but had to switch to a larger box at the end (next to the last picture).

1 Like

What am I doing wrong here or so far so good?

@rmadrid20 - on the pump start relay I think the L1 In and L2 In wires are both red. Those should connect to the two wires coming from the disconnect. I think one of the wires coming from the disconnect is actually connected to the L2 Out wire. The L1 Out and L2 Out wires are both black and I think they should be connected to the wires going to the pump.

The 24Vac blue wires will be connected to the Rachio M/P and C(ommon) ports.

This is based on visual observation, as I don’t have the instruction manual for the pump start relay.

1 Like

I’m following this pic and you see the 2 center lines are going to the pump if I’m wrong I’ll switch them

You are on a roll :cheers:

One thing I would like to check is the gauge of the wire connecting your outdoor breaker with the relay box. Look for “AWG” with a number next to it on the cable, ideally it should be AWG #14 or less (such as #12).

Also, considering that you are not using a neutral / ground wire within the relay box itself. I would trim / cut it off as to prevent accidental shorting with something else. Don’t worry about the red/black wire colors within the relay box, what you have now should work (relay doesn’t care what is output and what is input with AC voltage).