Intermatic Index Valve to Rachio Individual Valve

Hi Rachio Community!

Looking to convert my original 1976 setup to a updated Rachio 3 with individual valves. I’ve read through many of the post and haven’t seen a set up like mine on here yet. Hoping for some help on how to convert these index valve to individual and connect the Rachio 3.

Thank you!

@Marcusb - This is @Gene 's area of expertise.

1. It looks like the solenoid for you system is 120 VAC powered. So you have an option: a) if you want a master valve in the system, replace the one existing solenoid with a 24 VAC solenoid or b) if you don’t want a master valve in the system, just open the existing valve manually using the top handle.

2. Replace the existing index valve with a 5 (I’ guessing here on the number of zones) port manifold system (Orbit makes a modular system).

3. Acquire the external Rachio enclosure and use the power for the existing Intermatic timer to power the encloser. I’m assuming this is 120 VAC and not 208 VAC as there is not a pump involved - but do check the label on the Intermatic to confirm the voltage it is getting.

What is different about this install is there is not a pump that the Intermatic timer controls, as it appears you are using a municipal water supply source that has constant pressure.

I have this exact same set up. Did you complete the conversion and if so do you have any pics? Thanks

I have this same setup. If I understand correctly - everything prior to the indexing valve stays?

It is unlikely that, in Florida, you have a metal pipework going all the way back to the meter.
Most likely, less then two feet down, you’ll find a PVC to metal converter, instead of trying to convert it back to PVC for individual valves, you’ll be better off finding the original PVC line and replacing everything in between.
Keeping metal may seem appealing, but in setup like yours there is little room for future repair. Your master valve, for example, will be a challenge to replace if it ever fails completely.

Not sure what do do with everything in the red. The metal supply pipe goes at-least as far as the sidewalk so far .

With the metal supply pipe going that far, I personally would probably take it apart at least to the manual valve unless I can go further (as long as you have another valve to shut off the water and below ground level would be better for me). Next, I would take out the indexed valve, put in a valve box convenient for the zones, connect the main to the input of a manifold, and four valves going to the zones.

So I can get rid of everything from the manual valve to the indexing valve? I can always add a shut off valve before the manifold and shut the house water off at the meter.

I’m also confused about the metal supply pipe which is city water. Does that connect into the main house supply somewhere after the meter? And is there a back flow preventer some where underground? The supply pipe is pretty rusty.

I purchased the Rachio and outside box - waiting for delivery. Buying 5 valves today for the manifold.

In order to minimize work & avoid creating leaks as much as possible, I’d try to find the matching union to the one you already have (highlighted yellow). This will allow you to simply unscrew the rest of the assembly and connect the new one in it’s place. Try to find the right sized male ntp (aka mntp) to pvc adapter (highlighted red), this will allow you to transition to PVC and use much cheaper valves, etc for your setup. You do have a backflow preventer (highlighted green), but you can get a 2 in 1 valve & backflow preventer for your new system, these look like this (link). The model I’ve linked to also has a flow control, which can take place of your pressure regulator (I’m guessing that’s the part between the valve and PVC transition).

If the sprinklers are supplied by culinary water, then the metal pipe must connect with the water main after the meter. As Gene said, that might be the backflow preventer he highlighted green. i do not think I have seen one like that, but it does look like an old setup. I wonder if it still works with how it looks like it has been painted.

Yes, with your sprinklers hooked to culinary water, it probably is a requirement to have a backflow preventer. Although it is not necessarily in all areas, I do like to have the pipe buried as much as possible. I prefer replacing, especially rusty, metal pipe, but that may be quite a bit more work.

So far I’ve hooked up the Rachio with the index valve and it’s working great. I have not been able to locate the end of the city water metal supply pipe yet. I’m considering leaving everything prior
To the index valve in place for now and start the the manifold at the index valve.

The pipes leading up to the index valve are 1 1/4 - the pipes shortly before that are 1 inch. Should I make the manifold 1 1/4 or 1 inch - I bought hunter 1 inch hunter valves but can adapt them to 1 1/4

Thanks

I was able to trace the metal pipe all the back to the water meter. A foot or so after the meter the line is divided to the house and sprinkler system. To change it would require a plumber, so I’m going to leave it for now

You probably have already done so, but I would make a note of it somewhere where you will remember that.

The valve manifold is 1 1/4 most of the pipes coming in are 1 inch - does it matter how I transition the 1 inch into the 1 1/4 manifold.

No, going from smaller pipe to a larger one will not cause any issues.
Good thing you’ve posted a photo, as all of your valves are installed backwards. Arrow shows a flow of water, meaning it should point from the T junctions out to the zones.

1 Like

It looks great besides the issue already mentioned. For me, I really like the premade manifolds, such as https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57253-3-Valve-Preassembled-Manifold/dp/B001H1NGOI as they allow taking apart without cutting pipe, etc. . . . definitely my personal preference.

I ended up tearing everything up back to the water meter. I had a plumber install a new PVC main house line and a new PVC sprinkler line. According to the city water dept that came out to the house, I do not need a back flow preventer. There is also some type of check valve installed on my side of the meter. So, Can I just go from this new connection right into the manifold or do I need a main valve or something else in between.

dacitisana

1 Like

@Mc2472 Not gonna live I have up when I first opened this thread and moved on to other projects. Decided to circle back around. Looks like we have/had the same setup.

What’s the latest, did you complete the setup?

Thanks!

@Thomas_Lerman @Gene @DLane Finally started to make some progress. Dug down found the PVC before the metal. Attached a check valve there. Made my manifold.

Is it ok to attach the manifold directly to the city water line or do I need a pressure regulator before the manifold. If so, any specific item you recommend?

Attached old setup for reference of what was installed previously.

Thanks!