Indoor installation with outdoor pump relay

Is this possible? Right now I have a simple outdoor irrigation timer (with pins and pump relay). I’d like to install my Iro indoor, and run the 24V leads to my 5 zones and one to a new pump relay.

I couldn’t find anybody doing that on here after searching, and I don’t see why it can’t be done, but I want to make sure I can do this before I get too involved. And I don’t really want my Iro outside.

Thanks for the help!

I don’t think the Iro cares what is on the other end of the wire, whether it be a solenoid or a pump relay. Should work fine.

Thanks for replying! That’s what I figured, but wanted to make sure. Right now I have a 220v pump and 220v timer, so getting 110v out there would be a pain.

Something like this ought to do the trick:

Exactly what I was thinking! Now I have to figure out where I want to mount the Rachio.

@outbreak, sounds like a fun setup :smile:

As @Tomzo mentioned, you’ll need a pump start relay for your setup.

Here’s a wiring diagram for the Orbit pump start relay

The L1 wires are the power IN wires and L2 are the power OUT wires to the pump. The 24 VAC (blue) wires would go to the enclosure/outlet to power the Iro.

Additionally, you might need to install a 120v outlet to plug the Iro’s power adaptor into.

Hope this helps :wink:

Best, Emil

Thanks! What I’m leaning toward is mounting the Rachio indoor, and running the wires to the relay and valves outside.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but won’t the pump relay use the same common line as the valves?

@outbreak, yes and no – you’ll need a common wire for the pump relay and a common wire for the valves; these are not shared wires. The pump relay receives commands from the controller to activate the pump (water supply), while the valves turn on the individual zones.

Here’s a good how-to wiring guide for pump start relays.

Hope this helps :smile:

Best, Emil