Ignore False PWS data + Feature requests

Thanks, fixed. Next time I will not rush out the fix without testing it first. I guess it’s late :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Brilliant–looks like that did the trick! No worries–I don’t mind helping with some QA. You are saving me having to write my own version of this in Python (and host it, too). :slight_smile:

-Matt

1 Like

As many of you may have noticed, I’m slowly rolling out changes I’ve been working on for wufyi.com.

Right now these changes are mostly visible via a better error reporting, though as I’ve started the roll-out I’ve run into unexpected issues (such as WU will sometimes report that API key is bad, even though it is not).

What this means is that many of you may have gotten an email notification from cron-job.org that your updates have failed, most of them are temporary (though I have about 3 users who are using WU stations which have gone offline), and I’ve implemented changes to filter those out (prevent unnecessary notifications).

Pardon the dust as improvements are made. I’ll post a followup after I’ve rolled out all of the changes and had time to test them. Some of the features to look forward to:

1. Backup stations (if primary went offline, system will automatically start pulling data from the backup).
  2. Calibration (you can specify adjustments you would like to make to any parameter transferred).
  3. Better, step by step, setup procedure.
  4. Support for faster updates (run your cron-job every minute, wufyi will take care not to overtax your API).
  5. Almost forgot, better rain filtering! :wink:

Some of the features already live:

1. Better error reporting (to cron-job, so you get an email notifications without disabling your cron-job)
  2. Detection when station went offline (rather then just filtering out “old” data which WU likes to provide sometimes)
  3. Added support for Solar Radiation (for stations which report it) and UV data. You will not see them at pwsweather, but the data is being transferred, if it is available.

Cheers,
Gene :cheers:

2 Likes

What do I need to do to get to use WU PWSs? I have Android, iPad and PC access capabilities. There is a station literally right down the road that is on WU.

I’ve setup a free service, which you can use, at wufyi.com.

First check that WU station you are considering provides good data. More on this here (link).
Then you can setup wufyi.com to transfer data. More on that here (link). Sorry updated setup is not ready yet.
When setting up pwsweather station (which would make WU data available to rachio), be careful about GPS coordinates when setting up pws weather station. Here is a guide (link).

That is about it. Setup takes about 10 minutes and you don’t need anything else.

Cheers,
Gene

1 Like

I swear it seems that WU is purposefully tweaking their API just to mess with data transfers.

Where is before all of the observation time-stamps where reported in UTC, now several are using a time zone offset.

I am aware of issues which are effecting a few of you. I’m working on a fix for it, if your station shows up offline due to a high delta even though it is reporting to weather underground, it will be fixed soon (famous last words).

I may need to start a new topic soon, just for the S :interrobang:T the Underground API puts me though…

Going to get some rest,
Gene

1 Like

I see that this morning, WU has gone back to reporting in UTC as normal… What are they up to over there?

1 Like