Ideal Soil Moisture for Large Ficus

Someone told me to set the watering of our very large ficus for 15 minutes 4 times a day. I am in zone 9, but this seems like a lot. Soil moisture quickly went to 110%. I’ve been told the tree needs deep watering but I’m not sure how to set this up.

Well, deep watering wouldn’t include multiple watering’s a day. No idea what someone is thinking when they tell you to water like that…

At the end of the day, “ficus” could be one of over 800 tree species, each one with slightly different watering needs, but they can all benefit from deep watering.

What type of watering does this tree have (drip, bubbler, etc…)? Is this the only thing on the zone? My “tree” zones will run for about 4 hours when they do. I have multiple 2gph drip emitters running to each tree depending on the size of the tree. THAT is a deep watering. But it only does it once every 6-8 days in the summer.

1 Like

There are two trees in this zone, and they are watered via deep spikes. It seems my only options are to water daily or monthly or to let Rachio decide. But when when Rachio was watering it as needed, soil moisture was at about 30%. But i can’t figure out what the soil moisture should be.