Hunter mpr-25 vs stock blue

I just changed my hunter ultra nozzles from the stock blue nozzles to the red nozzles. Is it correct to change the precip in hr from .3 to .6 now.

Also how can the blue nozzle put out 1.5 gallons but only .3 in per hr vs the red 90 degree 1 gallon but .6 in per hr. Does that extra 6ft throw make the blue nozzle that less efficient?

Specs below for reference.

Important Question - are you using the MPR Reds (tree of 4 nozzles) or PGP Red nozzles (nozzle tree with 12 nozzles) and what model are your rotors exactly (PGP, PGP-Ultra, etc)? The MPR nozzles allow a matched precipitation rate for zones that have rotors in the same zone that have different rotation degrees (ex. 90 degree corner rotor and another 360 degree rotor operating on the same zone)

It is also important to know that all blue nozzles are precipitation rated for 180 degree of travel in that blue nozzle chart, so you have to do a little math if your rotors are not rotating 180 degrees. In your case, the 1.5 blue nozzle in a 90 degree rotation configuration will be .6 in/hr in a square “head to head” pattern (take the .3 in/hr precip rate in the chart rated for 180 degree rotation and double it to .6 because it is only travelling 90 degrees). The throw distance of the MPR red 90 and the 1.5 blue at 90 degrees does factor into the reason it is putting out less gpm for the MPR red but the precipitation rate will be very similar (.6 vs .62 in/hr)

So I am assuming if you are using MPR nozzles on PGP-Ultras. To properly retrofit your rotors with MPR nozzles, you need to:

1. Determine Feet of Throw - First factor in the ft. of throw you need for head to head coverage (the number of feet it will take a rotor to spray the head of the other rotors in the zone). That will determine if you need MPR Red (25 ft.), MPR Green (30Ft), or MPR Beige (35 ft). Reds, greens and beige nozzles can be intermixed because they are MPR nozzles that have the same precipitation rate (assuming they are travelling the correct degrees of travel).
  2. Nozzle Selection based on rotation degrees - The next thing is how many degrees of rotation will your rotor be travelling. That is where you select the proper nozzle based on degrees of travel. (ex. MPR Red 180 will be used for a rotor that needs to throw water 25ft and will rotate 180 degrees back and forth).
  3. Ensure all rotors in the zone have a MPR nozzle installed based on their throw & rotation configuration. (you cannot mix MPR nozzles with blue nozzles).

One thing to note about the MPR nozzles is that the green and beige ones for 360 degree require fairly high GPM flowrate and some zones cannot handle or deliver that much water at that flow and pressure needed. This will be apparent if the old blue nozzles were delivering their water at their specified throw distance but the new ones are not throwing at their specified throwing distance anymore. Rotors usually work best at a minimum pressure of 30-35 psi. Anything lower will reduce the throw radius and have less uniform distribution of the water thrown in the stream radius.

Hope this helps shed some light on things.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I do have the pgp-ultra and have switched to all mpr-red nozzles. Most of my sprinklers are within 25 feet of each other(give or take a few feet). If needed in the future I will switch the ones that need a further throw.

With that said I’m guessing it’s safe to say I can switch my prep in rate to .6 until I do a cup test?

Thanks!

.6 is a good place to start until you can do the catch cup tests yourself. That will at least get you in the ballpark for the time being.

So a red nozzles are 2 gallons a min for 180 but precip in is still .6 where the number 2 blue nozzles are 2 gallons but precip is .3, or am I reading it wrong? It does throw 34 feet vs 25 is that where the difference is?

Essentially yes.

MPR nozzles focus on the precipitation rate being practically universal across every other MPR nozzle by being able to deliver at or close to .6in/hr as long as the mpr 90 is used in a 90 degree rotation, the 180 being used in a 180 degree rotation, etc. Some MPR’s are better than others in universally distributing the precipitation evenly across the entire stream. In my experience, The red 90’s and 360’s spray pattern is a little uneven compared with the green 180 or blue nozzles.

The blue nozzles are more designed to be read at gpm (blue 2’s are 2 gpm at 45psi; blue 4’'s are 4 gpm; etc) with varying precipitation rates and distances across the blue nozzles product line. It’s harder to do but you can get in the ballpark of a matched precipitation with blue by doing 3.0’s for 180 degrees, 1.5’s at the 90’s and 5 or 6’s at 360 degrees if your system can deliver that. Obviously the distance of throw would be off but you can adjust a little with the stream adjustment screw to get closer. The MPR nozzles are much simpler to tune though.

Ideally rotors should be placed about 30 feet apart but for those where they are placed 40-45 feet apart, the blue nozzles would be the only way to reach the entire distance with that rotor with the PGP line. I use green MPR’s in my application to throw 30 feet at 40psi.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I feel like 360 blue nozzles used to not put out enough water and cause dry spots. I have one zone with 3x 360 heads, 1x 180 and 1x 90 head.