How to determine if Weather Station is measuring precipitation

I am the new owner of a Rachio 3. I installed the controller during a rain so I have yet to actually set a schedule per instructions from my gardener. I will be curious to see how it works. It’s fascinating.

One of the reasons I got the system is so my sprinklers will not run with rain. To that end, I have decided to rely on a nearby weather station rather than the “Weather Network” in Weather Intelligence Plus. I am posting a screenshot of the weather station I selected. Here are a few questions:

1. I wanted to make sure it is set to measure rainfall. So, I selected to see the last month and it does register rainfall. I assume that means the station is measuring rainfall and it is a good one to use?

2. Also, is it safe to say that it is someone’s personal weather station (PWS)??

3. Will a PWS .92 miles from my home still give me a good reading? I imagine so, but would love to hear any opinions.

Thanks in advance for the information.

I may not know how to attach a photo. Please let me know whether it is viewable. If not, I’m open to pointers on how to do so. Thanks.

Here is the station in question.

The month looks pretty good without knowing exact rainfall.

Assuming yes.

Anything less than a mile should be great data.

Welcome to the community and have a great weekend!

:cheers:

1 Like

I can’t wait for someone to tell me to water my lawn! Should be soon. My wife is against “smart” products. If she wants a light on, she’ll turn it on. However, she is all for economy and, especially, ecology. When I told her about Rachio, she said let’s do it! I never thought I’d be excited for my sprinklers to go on!

I will keep the aforementioned weather station as my station of choice. Thanks. I love reading the board just to see what I can learn.

1 Like

@Mtalio Fantastic! Let us know if you have any followup questions.

:cheers: