How do you secure Rachio wifi?

The Rachio Gen 2 has a wifi broadcast called Rachio. How do I enable WPA2 for this device?

@Ooga

The Gen 2 only broadcasts before it has been associated (activated) with your account. After that you shouldn’t have to do anything.

Please make sure you only activate the controller through our app, and not through WiFi settings in iOS or Android.

:cheers:

Every time I update the wifi for the device it uploads the settings and then says the update of the wifi settings failed but it did not and the wifi SSID name rachio is left open and unsecured. I tried forgetting my wifi on my android and entering the information by using the rachio app but it had some issues. I know it worked for my old iPhone maybe I will try updating the wifi settings with that and report my findings

Ok that sounds like a plan. iPhone should work without any issues.

Here is some documentation for the WiFi reset.

If you are still having issues our support team will be able to get you back online in no time!

http://support.rachio.com/category/219-contact-us

:cheers:

I’m having the same issue. I activate my Gen 2 8-Zone controller, and the SSID/WIFI stays open and unprotected after activation. I’ve gone thru the steps to update the wifi network to re-associate, but the SSID still shows open and unsecured.

Please help - i hate to leave this open, as it feels like a security concern.

1 Like

I still see this as a concern too. Is it normal for the Gen 2 to broadcast SSID 24x7x365? @Franz - you seem to be saying (above) that once the device is associated, the SSID should go away. I agree. Mine hasn’t gone away. Can anyone help?

1 Like

I’ve set up at least 10 Rachio units for friends and family and never had an SSID broadcast from the unit after activation. Are you sure that you associated the unit to your wifi, and are you sure that is being broadcast from the Rachio unit? I’m not even 100% sure it is possible for the unit to do both at the same time…

Troy - thank you for the reply. I was on with cust svc yesterday - they confirmed I’m connected. (They were able to see my controller online.)

I think I will do another reset/restart. Is there any scenario in which I will lose all my settings? I’ve spent so much time adjusting all the settings, that would be a nightmare!

They should be kept, but not trusting anything, I keep all my settings documented in an EXCEL spreadsheet (plus that was really helpful when I was fine tuning things and making just one change at a time to see what happened.)

Love the idea of keeping a backup of the settings. Were you able to export them to Excel, or did you just create your Excel file manually? If export, can you tell me how?
Thanks

I had to do it all manually. No export feature.

The good thing about doing it manually was that I had to look at all my settings, and then I made sure I understood what they meant.