HomeKit stopped working today

Help please. Followed all the reset steps in the other HomeKit not responding thread.

Ethernet ATV HomeKit hub
Rachio 3 on Fw iro3-firmware-hk-5-632

Rachio App sees and can control device fine. Try to add in HomeKit and it will never show up.

When I first added it a few months ago it added no prob. But not sure what’s going on now.

There is no known solution at present. They’re working with Apple and the WiFi chip engineers to figure out what’s going on and how to fix it.

Thank you. Not sure why I didn’t see it sooner but just spent so much time going through the macsterguy thread that is 2 years long. This sucks.

Sadly for many of us, the Rachio 3 is not HomeKit compatible and hasn’t been for years. Worse, this seems unlikely to change. Fortunately, there are other brands/devices comparably priced that are. If HomeKit compatibility is important to you and you are within your return period, that would be your resolution today. Again, sad.

1 Like

Sam

If your on UniFi. I figured how to get it working rock solid. I agree the rachio implementation is weak or broken, but a few UniFi parameters like DTIM=1 overcome their flaws.

Not on UniFi…using 7 eeroPro’s. For me, the Rachio is rock solid not working.

Do you, like another member, have all the eero’s bells and whistles, incl. “HK security” (or whatever it’s called), enabled?

Not looking to make apologies for anybody or assign blame. Just collecting information.

When it first happened to mine I had to reset it completely to get it back in. It worked, but recreating everything (the restore most assuredly did NOT work) was a real pain.

It’s been working (more or less) ever since that reset. Unsurprisingly it goes “no response” often, but rebooting the R3 will often fix things - temporarily.

Another thing that gives it a bit longer “life” in HK is switching SSIDs (changing wifi networks.) kudos to Rachio for supporting 5GHz wifi, so I can switch between my 2GHz and 5GHz and it’ll seemingly stay connected for a month when I switch them.

Could be, not sure what all the bells and whistles actually are. Here are some of my eeroPro settings (all devices are eeroPro’s, no Beacons, no WiFi6 devices):

Firmware: v3.4.0 - up to date supposedly
IPv6: off
HomeKit: enabled and active on all 7 eeroPro’s
WPA3: off
Optimize for Conferencing and Gaming: off
eero Secure: enabled and active (not Secure+)
Advance Security: enabled
Ad Blocking: enabled
Alexa Smart Home/Easy Device Setup/Connect to Amazon: disabled
Band Steering: On
Thread: On

…and in iOS Settings for the eero app: Home Data: enabled

Be sure you have the Rachio set to not restricted for HomeKit Secure Router in the home app. Rachio needs to talk to the cloud to do anything. You may need to reboot your home hub and/or Rachio after doing that.

Of course there are other issues Rachio needs to resolve but this may help.

This has caused problems with a number of devices that had previously worked fine with HomeKit.

Not certain why you’d do that, unless it disables WPA2.

I wonder what these actually do?

I strongly recommend against this–particularly in a multi-AP environment. Now you have devices arbitrarily roaming, not just between APs, but between bands, as well. It’s just asking for trouble.

I speak from experience–mine and that of other network people.

One user had eero tech support recommend turning this off when he’d had problems with HomeKit and some of his devices. I’ve no clue what it does.

Dunno. Have no idea what that does.

And, with this, I’m out of the HomeKit-related discussions. As a result of Apple’s recent announcement they’d be installing spyware on users’ devices, I’m disengaging from Apple. I’ve already whacked HomeKit. But, during the month or so our Rachio 3 was linked to HomeKit, it gave us no trouble.

@jseymour, thanks for the detailed responses.

1. WPA3 is off. When initially set up, the default is on. Several network devices did not work. Tech support suggested turning this off, I did, and they worked. May be different today.
  2. No idea what eero Secure and Advanced Security actually do.
  3. At your suggestion, I’ve turned off Band Steering and Thread.

Turning off Thread requires a network reboot so that’s been done. I’ll try to set up the Rachio 3 again and see what happens. Again, thanks for your insights.

1 Like