here is a little script for google sheets that will give the ability for Google sheets to connect to rachio and get your zone configuration. I have 25 zones and i find it useful to check for errors and mistakes at a glance in google sheets. It will also list if you are using the default runtime or if you overruled your schedule.
Steps to use the script:
- Open a blank google sheet (sheets.google.com click “blank”).
- Get your API key. Login to rachio via the web and get the API key by clicking on the human size icon up near the right corner. Select “get my API key”. It looks like this: 1f43dde1-9999-5555-b525-b5473aaabbb. This key is not a real key, just an example. It has to be your key that belongs to your account.
- In your google spreadsheet, click on tools->Script Editor. A new window will open. If will have something called “function MyFunction()” and another 4 lines. Delete all of those lines (select them with your mouse and hit the delete button.
- Copy and paste the 213 lines of script below these instructions into the window. (make sure you get all the lines from //START to //END
- Take your API key and put that into the quotation marks"" on line 5, the line that says APIKEY="". Make sure there are no erroneous spaces inside those quotation marks, it should only have your API key and nothing else.
- Hit save, its the floppy disk drive looking thing right above and slightly to the left of where you put in your API key.
- Name your project. I called mine Rachio -you can call yours anything you want. The name won’t be public.
- Click on the menu to the right of the spider looking thing menu button. A list will pop down. Select the entry that says “onOpen”.
- Clock the play button immediately to the left of the spider looking button. A popup should come “Authorization required”. XXX needs your permission to access your data on google (where XXX is the name of the function you saved in step 7. This gives your script the right to put data into the spreadsheet you opened. It only gives permission for this script to put data into this spreadsheet and nothing else in case you are worried. Select “Review Permissions”.
- A new window will popup, “Choose an account to continue with XXX” (XXX is the name you gave the script". I selected my personal google account.
- Google will tell you that this app has not been verified. Only proceed if you know and trust the developer. Its up to you if you trust the code. The full source code is below for you to inspect.
If you trust it, then select “Advanced” and click on “Go to XXX” where XXX is the name you gave the project.
- Google will now tell you that you will now allow this script to see spreadsheets in google drive, and connect to an external service. If you are okay with that then click “Allow”.
Go back to your spreadsheet. Next to the help menu item in the spreadsheet is a new menu called “Rachio”. Open that menu and select “Get Zone Config”. The script will connect to your rachio using your API key and populate the active worksheet with your zone configuration.
You can close the script window. From hereon after this script can be run by clicking on that menu item. Every time you do so, it will call rachio using your API key and populate the active sheet within this spreadsheet with the current settings from rachio. Note that no other sheets will have this menu, if you want another sheet to have it you either need to duplicate this spreadsheet, or create a new spreadsheet and go through the steps above.
If you want to remove the script you can delete the spreadsheet that the script is attached to, or you can open the menu “Tools -> Script editor” and select code.gs pop-down and click “delete”.
i found this useful. Maybe you will too?
Bugs errors and mistakes are entirely my own. I make no guarantees this will work for you. It works well for me and what i wanted to do.