Gen 2 still broadcasting SSID

About four days ago, I reset my controller in order to change wifi networks. I was successful in connecting to the new wifi network. Now, I notice the controller is still broadcasting an SSID (in other words, it is still showing up as a wifi network called “Rachio”). This does not seem normal to me and I have seen other comments here in the community (from a co-founder) to suggest this is not normal. Once the controller is “associated” to the new wifi network, the controller should stop acting as its own wifi network (“Rachio”). Can anyone help me?

3 Likes

Whenever I have to reconnect my Gen2, I watch to see how long it takes for the on board WiFi to go off. Sometimes it’s minutes and sometimes I just let it go hoping that it would go off eventually. That eventually sometimes turned into days. That would usually be the longer and more difficulty I have getting it to connect, the longer the internal WiFi stays live.

I found ages ago that the WiFi in the Gen2 has a lot to be desired. I guess it’s a feature.

Where did you “find” this information? I hadn’t heard or read about any wifi issues. Only “issue” is that the Gen1’s and Gen2’s could only connect to 2.4ghz band (common with many IoT devices), which can cause issues with newer routers that don’t broadcast a separate SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz band.

From personal experience and comments in various forums where “Technotards” have torn these apart once they were “over” them. And Beta Testers for WiFi equipment troubleshooting why someone can’t connect a Gen2 to their router. Or like other groups that dissect iPhones and catalog the parts, their actual cost and whether or not for the price of the part, if there could have been a better part used. Judged by spectrum analysers at distance or the plain knowledge of right and wrong.

My Gen2 has been broadcasting an SSID for weeks since I re-configured the Wi-Fi network it was connected to. I tried unplugging the power, waiting a couple of minutes, and plugging it back in… the SSID came right back. Seems unnecessary, and when I am trying to optimize the Wi-Fi and minimize interference in my house, it’s a nuisance.

I have the very same issue and would love to find out how to get it to stop broadcasting that open SSID. It’s already connected to my network, whatever trigger there is for it to switch off really needs improvement. When will there be an update to fix this?

The Wi-Fi access point being always on is useless at best but, I imagine, it is typically worse as it can only interfere with nearby APs for your regular home Wi-Fi. It is a problem for me.

This must be fixable in firmware but, apparently, Rachio has no interest in fixing it.

Same issue here, it has been broadcasting SSID for more than a month now. Is there any workaround?

I too have this problem… it’s very frustrating that Rachio isn’t making a firmware change to address this, dunno why I have a Rachio SSID broadcasting after its joined my network just fine. How do we disable the unnecessary ssid from broadcasting?