Gen 2 controller no longer connects to WiFi

I updated the Rachio app last night to the latest version 4.1.11 and it knocked my controller offline. I am no longer able to connect the controller to my WiFi. I emailed customer support, who replied back that Rachio controllers are no longer compatible with modern smartphones or iPads, that I need an older smartphone to connect WiFi.

I tried that, it still won’t connect.

It’s in the high 90s here, and my smart irrigation controller is a piece of junk.

Help!

I emailed customer support, who replied back that Rachio controllers are no longer compatible with modern smartphones or iPads, that I need an older smartphone to connect WiFi.

What? Makes no sense.

Im on 4.1.11 and still on WiFi, still able to control my unit using my “modern smartphone e”, an iPhone.

1 Like

IMO, it’s very unlikely that a malfunctioning app would affect communication between controller and cloud, though it’s possible that it’s offline now, as a result of your attempts to fix the problem. It’s also possible that it went offline for an unrelated problem, but you didn’t notice it until you ran the new app.

What do the light codes show?

https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010541068-Light-Codes-Generation-2-

When you visit app.rach.io from your computer, does the controller appear in your account? If so, does it appear online? If so, can you do a Quick Run of a zone and do the sprinklers operate?

What have you done attempting to get the controller back online? Precisely, what went wrong (light state before running app, light state after running app, exact error message(s) from app)?

1 Like

Hi Stuart. It may have been offline before I ran the app update, I can’t say for certain. Last time I checked it was about 2 weeks ago. It’s an E5220C.

So i read the article about the Rachio 3 not connecting with smartphones using the latest IOS. Although this is a Gen 2 controller, I am having similar issues. I’m using an iPhone 8 with IOS 13.5.1. Amazingly, I still have an old iPad with a previous IOS 12.5.4. I connected to the 2.4 GHz network that the Rachio has been connected to for the last several years.

Then I unplugged the controller for 30 seconds. When the second light started flashing, I held the down arrow and select button until the light ring was fully illuminated. Once illuminated, I pressed connect and I get this message…”An unexpected error occurred. Try again”

The controller does appear in the app, status is offline.

@RachioDontWork - power cycle your router and make sure that Bluetooth is enabled hope this help

1 Like

Anthony. Good suggestion, power cycling the router worked. We had a short burst of power outages last week, but all 3 of my routers are on battery backup so none of my networks went offline. Anyway, thanks for the help!

2 Likes