Front panel quick run time

I’m currently taking a look at issues with iOS 10 devices. I’ll keep you posted when I have an update.

Thanks zachio. In the meantime I would try the Windows or Linux workarounds if they are forthcoming?

I don’t understand your question. The workarounds were posted and should work now. If you tried one and it failed, please post in detail what went wrong.

I finally figured out that without doing a factory reset, the unit wouldn’t try to solicit a connection on its private wifi, and so you could go no further. I did the factory reset, the rachio appeared as a wifi on my windows 10 box and tried Stewart’s suggestion about browsing to it, but that doesn’t work as it doesn’t do the get/post exchange as he’d suggested. But the original curl get and then post did work, the unit reset and then appeared with an IP address on my router. At this point I was hoping I could browse to that address and get a meaningful dialog going, but it has no support (no such page errors). Then I installed telnet support and tried to connect that way, but that’s refused by the rachio. Then I went back to the rachio web site, login’d in, and it puts you on the locations page. You can change your profile in the settings, you can get API key (not sure what to do with it once it’s in your clip board), but have no idea how to do so-called remote watering. Tried to get to any page other than “locations”, like remote, locations/remote (makes you log in again, puts you back to locations), or the ever-popular “home”, to no avail. Is there a programmer’s guide or API of curl commands some endeavoring Windows or Linux geek could use to make this more user friendly?

Didn’t mention I tried add device, but it still insists you have to have a mobile phone.

I’m not certain that adding a controller only affects the back end (the app does not talk directly to the controller), but suspect that is the case because there are credible posts where the user had done a factory reset and didn’t need to re-add it in the app.

Assuming that this is true, just ask a friend or neighbor to add it for you. Worst case, he’ll get an error indicating no communication with the device. If it works, it should then be possible to do the rest of the setup from your web browser.

I’m reluctant to ask people that I don’t know yet in my new neighborhood (just moved here a few days ago) to take covid risks. It seems like the plan to get the controller online to my wifi was successful, and the next step of doing remote watering from any web browser as the documentation promises should work. This doesn’t need the broken ipad app, just the website. But I can’t get as far as the website attempting to connect to my controller, so I must be doing something wrong (it just keeps insisting an install on a smart phone was necessary to add a device).

If my understanding is correct, they should not have to be near the controller and can do it from their home. Once the controller is set up, they could delete the app. You could even ask a friend halfway around the world, as long as they have a compatible phone and internet access.

Stewart, I now consider you my friend. Would you help me out by setting up my rachio?

Sure. PM me the email address for your Rachio account, the password and the serial number of your device. I’ll attempt to set it up; if it fails I’ll report what went wrong.

If your password is also used on other sites, please change it to something unique before sending it. And after I’m done, change it to something I don’t know.

Is it over 5 years old? Apple typically supports a HW model for 5 years then stops providing iOS updates. As far as I know iPad 4th Generation (not iPad Pro 4th Gen, that’s newer) or older cannot upgrade beyond 10.3.3. This may be entirely orthogonal to why the app isn’t running, just providing some detail on why 10.3.3 may be the latest available for you.

That’s possible, 5 yrs go by quickly. Rachio’s install page in the Apple Store did claim support for 10.3, which is why I held out hope that Rachio would fix whatever was making it not work. I now may have a kindly community member configure the app.rach.io so my controller appears to the remote watering capability on Windows Chrome. That hopefully will be good enough in case Rachio can’t or won’t fix 10.3 ipad support.

They were able to force my Rachio controller to be known by the app. Got on my Windows Chrome browser and it shows up with the owner’s previous pictures and configuration. When I tried to make changes it was very unresponsive, like it was communicating over a 300 Baud modem. Tried changing my password, and that has been hung for 5 minutes at the “Changing Password” pop-up. Does this thing only work reasonably with the smart phone? As is, it is so slow as to be unusable.

I just did a test, also using Chrome under Win 10. From the home screen, went to Account Settings, then Profile, then Change Password, entered a new password (2 places), then Done. At each step, response time was less than one second.

Try in Safari from your iPad and report whether that’s any better. If not, do you still see a solid connection from controller to router? Do the lights on the controller show that it’s on line?

Just chiming in on very old topic to request system enhancement please: be able to configure default quick run duration (because 3 min is a hardship).
My reason today: builders working next door again cut my fiber Internet line and will take days to repair (bad enough to not have Internet but on top of that I must worry about my garden and lawn).
Thanks for your consideration

I cannot believe this thread is 5 years old.

I purchased my brand new Rachio controller from Costco last summer. Loved it. I also hooked up the controller with my Home Assistant which was really nice. I did not use it much as I rely on the Rachio app. All great.

Fast forward to last Wednesday. My fiber internet stopped working at my house. Technician will come out next week. Live in a major city, sounds like they have big backlog to get internet fixed.

I had not enabled the schedule yet as I wanted to make sure we got it right for our plants that we made changes for.

Rachio app does not connect to the controller as the controller needs internet. Understandable.

So because of this I tried to manually trigger a run by using the Radio Home Assistant integration. It cannot connect to internet so that fails.

Then I tried to run the Rachio controller from our garage but it only triggers the run for 3 minutes
without an option to run it longer. That obviously is way too short of a time period.

Something needs to be done so that the controller can be controlled locally without the internet. I’m about to throw this device out and get something that is local only and never recommend the device to others. Imagine if you could only run a smart thermostat AC for 3 minutes at a time without the internet.

Again, I cannot believe this thread is 5 years old with no reasonable modern solution.