Flow Meter Shark Fitting

I was chatting with my landscaping company and they said they never (and would never) use a shark fitting on the main pipe feeding the sprinkler system. They said the amount of pressure is high and they wouldn’t trust it.

It looks to me like the install instructions are to use shark fittings for the flow meter. What has been people’s experiences with them? Any issues? Are there any alternatives possible if I don’t want to use a shark?

1 Like

@larrywal - what is the water pressuring in your system? Sharkbite devices are rated up to 200 PSI and the PVC-Lock devices are rated to 150 PSI, with a burst rating of 600 PSI. More than enough strength to handle household water pressures. For the flow meter installation, it has to be on the main line to be able to measure everything. My flow meter has been installed for two months - no issues.

The flow meter is made out of ABS not PVC, so Sharkbite or PVC-Lock devices are the only option as gluing ABS to PVC is not supported via building codes. The only issue that I’ve seen mentioned with the Sharkbite or PVC-Lock devices is if there are water hammer conditions on the line, then the Sharkbite or PVC-Lock device may dig into the pipe more and be harder to remove using the tool. Once installed, I’m not planning on removing the device.

2 Likes

Got it - thanks. How do I easily measure pressure?

The blowout valve is currently installed just before where I will install the flow meter, so I guess it would also have to handle the pressure of a blow out…

1 Like

@larrywal - Most residential systems will be well below the thresholds. One would use a gauge like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winters-Instruments-PET-LF-2-5-in-Lead-Free-Brass-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-with-3-4-in-Swivel-Hose-and-Maximum-Pointer-and-0-160-psi-kPa-PETM213LF/305046977

And connect it to a faucet closest to the main line. If there is higher pressure, say over 35 PSI, I believe the recommendation is to use pressure regulated heads in the system so the amount of misting is reduced.

I don’t blow out my system so I don’t know the pressures used - but I can’t believe they would be higher than the devices can handle.

2 Likes

My installer used Lasco PVC push fittings. One of them is leaking and now I have to figure out how to remove it all and install the Orbit ones that he should have used in the first place. He did say that I have really high water pressure. I can turn three zones on at the same time with no pressure issues. My installer also was surprised to hear me say it had to be a push fitting instead of glue, but I insisted he follow the directions. And now I’m still dealing with the mess and can’t use my sprinklers until the new fittings arrive in the mail. Nobody has them in stock where I live.

1 Like

I have used the Lasco “Push Fit” connectors also and they like to leak. They are easy to remove without damaging the WFS.

I use a Tiny Tim saw or you can use a 32 tooth hacksaw blade.
Cut the fitting at a 45 degree angle. Spin it 180 degrees and make one more cut.

Cut only until you hit the small metal band. Pry the fitting open and then the band and the o-ring will come off with ease.

Then go to home depot and get the orbit fitting which has never leaked for me.

If you are connecting copper to the WFS, Shark bite is still the best option.

On another note about the pressure.

Most irrigation runs best at 95 to 100 psi. Larger commercial systems up to 130 psi.
You can install a high range pressure regulator which will allow you to adjust from line pressure down to whatever you feel comfortable running.

2 Likes

I ended up using a dremel and a very steady hand. Got the Lasco fitting off and the orbit on. No more leaks!

3 Likes

Very nice. We love to see a success story. There is a sound reason why Rachio specified the fittings that they did.

1 Like

I installed my flow meter using SharkBite fillings as recommended. I did use steel wool and my Dremel tool to polish up the copper pipe before installation. The fittings are working as designed and I haven’t seen a single drop of water leakage since installation.

3 Likes

I just installed the Lasco fitting as well and realized it didn’t slide on all the way.

The instruction manual does not say to use Orbit fittings… just PVC lock. This is frustrating. Please have the instructions updated.

Hey @Bribabb!

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the Lasco fittings. Just wanted to share both of our PVC installation instructions and the link to the Orbit fitting model that’s needed for the installation.

3/4" PVC Installation Instructions
1" PVC Installation Instructions

Also, take a look at our list of all of the fitting types we recommend for the Wireless Flow Meter. You can click on the chart to make it larger and view the options for each pipe size.

Pro Wireless Flow Meter Fitting Options

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I’m happy to help! :slight_smile:

:cheers: Lo

Hi Lo,

I ended up using the orbit fittings and they eventually worked.

With regard to the instructions - I was referring to the instructions that were shipped in the box with the flow meter. These made no mention of a particular brand of fitting. I relaize the instructions you sent me a link to are very specific - that info is helpful. Hindsight being 20/20 having that information in the printed instruction booklet would have been helpful.

Thanks for your reply - no further action needed.

Cheers,

Brian

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, @Bribabb!! I’ll let our team know that more specific instructions around the fittings would be helpful in the box rather than just online! Glad to hear you got the Orbit fittings to work! :slight_smile:

:cheers: