Flex Daily Watering too much

I am new to Rachio and installed the unit in early spring. I set it up using the Flexible daily and my yard is being watered like crazy. My last water bill was higher than I’ve ever seen, and I don’t even want to think about what my bill will look like this next month. I bought this unit to save me money but it looks like it’s going to cost me a fortune.

I assumed that by leaving the unit alone it would get caught up and save me some money down the road. It’s been up and running now for several months so it should be caught up. It’s watering several times per week. It currently shows 6 watering days on the schedule over the next 11 days. I don’t need stats to know that is way too much.

I am about to punt this experiment and switch to a fixed schedule but hopefully some advice will fix my problem.

My unit watered 4 hours and 19 mins this morning covering 7 zones and smart cycle. Checking the available water after the watering only shows .15 inch. Additionally, the moister level dropped to 30% down from 57% yesterday even after watering. Seems like the something is wrong here. Shouldn’t my moister levels increase after watering?

Hey @macwinpro, so for many people including myself, starting out with the Rachio does produce higher bills if you weren’t watering your yard correctly. I know I wasn’t, my grass was very unhealthy and took forever to come in. See here Watering strategies to fix this bad area

It really catches up after a few runs, so yes, you are caught up. Now your system is watering based off your settings.

In general, your settings look good. Your graph is showing that this zone watered only once in 7 days, so I’m not sure how it will water 6 days in the next 2 weeks, unless you mean different zones on different days.

Let’s start with your soil. How did you come up with clay? If you haven’t check out this step by step process to fine tune your soil setting Using Web Soil Survey to define your soil settings

4 Likes