First time scheduling/historical WX data

Setting up my Gen2 and the first run of schedule has my zones running for a considerable amount of time despite the fact here in Dallas we’ve experienced record rainfall.

Wondering if the Rachio uses this data upfront or only after a period of time post setup?

Despite setting the different zones with sq ft, different types of foliage and soil, the Rachio has initially set all of the zones to run for 22 minutes. I’d never run any zone that long, especially some of the smaller beds.

I guess my question is: will the Rachio automatically adjust for the specifics I’ve set for each zone and/or the already existing 2016 rainfall data over some period of time - or do I need to manually adjust for these based on what I know to be true?

thanks!

@petercw2 We don’t look back on events that happened before the install of the controller, just forward.

If you choose a fixed schedule (interval/day of week) we will skip during rain events (you can adjust the threshold) and adjust your minutes +/- according to the watering month (seasonal shift). You can take our minutes recommendation (based on watering interval you’ve chosen), modify as you like, and allow the controller to adjust those minutes each month (that feature, seasonal shift) can be disabled if you like.

Flex monthly schedules in addition to changing your minutes, will change your frequency.

Flex daily schedules will use real-time weather data to dynamically adjust your schedules and will decide every day to water or not. This is the most efficient type of watering, but can be challenge to initially setup since we need fairly close characteristics chosen for zone attributes. Some users have great success with this schedule, for other users it can be challenging and they might migrate back to something more predictable.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

:cheers:

That was very helpful and provided interesting results.
Well, I just realized because of our city’s permanent water restrictions I am limited to only Sundays and Thursdays… I assume the best option then is “Fixed Days”?

You can start there, I recommended this quick FAQ regarding flex daily for new users.

http://support.rachio.com/article/382-flex-schedule-faq

We have a great community in @plainsane, @Linn, @azdavidr, and others that know more about flex than me at this point with any questions in that area. :wink:

That was very helpful and provided interesting results.
Well, I just realized because of our city’s permanent water restrictions I am limited to only Sundays and Thursdays… I assume the best option then is “Fixed Days”?

@petercw2 Ha, yes with 2 day restrictions, fixed days with weather intelligence on will still provide a lot of value. With 2 day restrictions flex watering does not make a lot of sense.

Make sure you pick a relatively close weather station for better results.

Some day, there will be no restrictions, and only flex! :wink:

luckily I have a WX station in my backyard and on the CWOP. a big part of the reason I purchased the Rachio.

1 Like

@petercw2 Sweet!