Converting rainbird rc 7bi to rachio 2nd gen

Hi all,

In the process of converting an old Rainbird rc 7bi to a Rachio 2nd gen and need a little help.

I believe I wired everything correctly and have the wifi set-up but when testing the zones none of them worked.

Please help! Photos attached.

Rachio controller is primarily designed for a solid wire (where the conductive part is a single thicker conductor). The interconnect wires you’ve reused from the old controller are stranded (whereas the conductive part is made out of multiple thin wires). Likely that your common and/or master valve lines are not making a good connection. For best results you will likely wish to stop using the old interconnect wires.

Another possibility is that you are using a wrong common connection. Looking at a manual, the common seems to be a White / Red wire:

I would try hooking up the red/white to commons as well:

If the above step does not work, you have two options that should work:

1. Move the rachio lower down, so that the field wires (thick red and a white wires) can reach and be connected directly to Rachio.
  2. Buy a foot or two of the irrigation wire from a home improvement store, like this one (link) from lowes. And use that instead of the old stranded wires.

Cheers,
Gene

2 Likes

I would say move the Rachio to the left so that the gap between the boards acts as a conduit into the new controller and like Gene said just hook the field wires(white and reds) to the Rachio.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help, you were right the old wires couldn’t get a good connection so I bought the new ones you suggested and it worked!

3 Likes