Converting from Gen 2 to Gen 3

I’m struggling with wiring panel sensors from Gen 2 to Gen 3. The old GEN 2 had input wires for S1, S2, SC, SP as show in the attached picture
The GEN 3 only has C, S1 and 24VAC - and +

How do I attach the sensor wiring?

Thanks for any help.

IMG_0907

1 Like

SC → 24 VAC -
SP → 24 VAC +

The Rachio 2 diagram shows the SC is sensor common and SP is wireless rain sensor power.

TERMINAL WIRE
C Common (use any or all)
# (1-16) Zone # (reference old timer wiring)
M Master Valve or Pump Relay; see Advanced Wiring
S1 Sensor 1 (Rain or Flow)
S2 Sensor 2 (Rain or Flow)
SC Sensor Common
SP Sensor Power (Wireless Rain Sensor)

Another post says:

Advanced Wiring - Rachio 3

Rain and Flow Wired Sensors - S1 and S2 Terminals (optional)

You can connect up to two rain or flow sensors to your controller using terminals “S1” and “S2.”

Sensor Wires - 24 VAC+/- (optional)

The 24 VAC + and - terminals are used for extra wires from wireless sensors. These terminals replace and perform the same function as the SP and SC terminals from the Generation 2.

• 24 VAC + is for sensor power wires (this corresponds to the SP terminal on the Generation 2).

• 24 VAC - is for sensor common wires (this corresponds to the SC terminal on the Generation 2).

Thank you,
You mention “You can connect up to two rain or flow sensors to your controller using terminals “S1” and “S2.””

The generation 3 only has C, S1, 24VAC -, and 24VAC +

So if I did have a 2nd rain or flow sensor where could I put it? There is no “S2”

What is the C in the sensor section for?

Thanks again,
Ron Parker

| jstensland
January 1 |

• | - |

The Rachio 2 diagram shows the SC is sensor common and SP is wireless rain sensor power.

Another post says:

Advanced Wiring - Rachio 3### Rain and Flow Wired Sensors - S1 and S2 Terminals (optional)

You can connect up to two rain or flow sensors to your controller using terminals “S1” and “S2.”

Sensor Wires - 24 VAC+/- (optional)

The 24 VAC + and - terminals are used for extra wires from wireless sensors. These terminals replace and perform the same function as the SP and SC terminals from the Generation 2.

• 24 VAC + is for sensor power wires (this corresponds to the SP terminal on the Generation 2).

• 24 VAC - is for sensor common wires (this corresponds to the SC terminal on the Generation 2).

Hi Ron. My Rachio 3 8-station controller has slots of S1 and S2, so I’m not sure how to answer your question.

Honestly, I rely on the algorithm of the app based on my location as the primary determinant on water scheduling (I use Flex Daily), and the rain sensor that came with my original system is just an additional layer of assurance.

The sections I included above are pulled directly from Rachio installation guides, which I also linked to in the original post. I hope those help.

Jeff,
Thank you.
This is my Rachio 3 - 4 zone controller. It only has S1. Perhaps this 4 zone version only has one sensor?

Thanks

Ron

1 Like