Basis for default watering schedules

For grass in our area (Texas) the recommended method to conserve water is to water the equivalent of about 1" once per week. This varies based on soil type. This practice encourages deeper roots and saves water. This is based on several sources including Texas A & M research.

What is the basis for the default watering schedules? For warm weather grass the default frequency and durations appear inconsistent with the goal of conserving water.

Regards. Mike

Hey Mike-
Are you interested in flex scheduling or fixed? I can give you more detail if you let me know which one you are looking into!! If you are looking to promote deep roots and save water, I am guessing you are more interested in flex. Just want to make sure before I dive into the details.
McKynzee :rachio:

I prefer a flex schedule that adjusts based upon weather. Mime

When it comes to flex scheduling, the more accurate your zone settings are the better the schedule is going to work for your yard. If you would like to take a screenshot of those settings and post them here, this community is overflowing with users that can help fine tune those, including myself!
Two other things to keep in mind:

1. The calendar can sometimes be a little confusing in flex scheduling. Keep in mind that just because it says it’s watering, doesn’t mean every zone in that schedule is watering.
  2. Flex waters for longer durations, less often. At first glance, it may seem like the duration is high, but it’s important to check the watering intervals.
    Here is an article with a quick overview of how flex works: http://support.rachio.com/article/386-flex-schedule.
    Let me know if you have other questions!
1 Like

This response did not address the questions posed at all. Can I explain the questions posed differently? I am at a loss to figure out how to get a meaningful response. Please help me figure out how to get my questions addressed. Thanks. Mike

Hi Mike-
Sorry my response didn’t help you out, I guess I did not understand your question. What are you wanting to know about flex scheduling?

The base watering rate in flex scheduling is too frequent and too little at a time. The base program will increase watering by a large margin above a sound watering strategy. It makes no sense as a basis for a product that is designed to conserve water. What is the warm weather grass base water based upon?

Mike

@Mikespring -
Sorry for the delayed response, for some reason I didn’t get notified of your response! For warm weather grass, there is a crop coefficient of 0.65 and a root zone depth of 9 inches. Crop coefficient affects the frequency of your waterings, so if that increases frequency increases and if it decreases frequency decreases. Root zone depth affects duration, the larger it is the longer your system is going to water a zone. This article tells you how each individual setting within your zones affect your flex schedule, it is really important to look at the whole picture when running a flex schedule.

1 Like