App: Unable to reach server

When I run the Rachio app I consistently get an error message: Unable to reach server. Please check your Internet connection.
Background: I just installed a Rachio 3. I have two phones, a Google Pixel 3 XL which has phone service and WiFi and a Pixel 2 which only has WiFi. I couldn’t configure the Rachio 3 with the Pixel 3 so I tried the Pixel 2 and it worked. Now when I try to run the Rachio app on the Pixel 3 I get the Unable to reach server error, but I have tons of other apps that access the Internet without any problems. The Pixel 2 runs the app without a problem.
I’ve uninstalled my VPNs, deleted the apps cache and user data and reinstalled, restarted the phone, turned off LTE while leaving WiFi, turned off WiFi while leaving LTE, nothing seems to help.
Ideas?

Can you access app.rach.io in Chrome on the Pixel 3? If not, it may at least give you a more useful error message, or you could use Fiddler or similar to see what is happening.

If the web app works ok, is that a suitable workaround, or do you need functionality only present in the mobile app?

Thanks Stewart!

I can login to app.rach.io on Chrome, what is it missing that the app has, other than the pictures of the zones?

I’m not sure what I should be seeing if I use Fiddler. I guess I could try that on both phones and compare. I was hoping to find a simpler answer.

I’ve figured out the problem.
There is a list of trusted system credentials in Android, maybe like 100. About 30 of these were disabled, I believe as part of a security update? If I enable all of these, it starts working.
Some of these look a bit sketchy, I’ll need to look to see if there is a recommended list.

1 Like