API - Device IDs

I’ve been a programmer for over 40 years, and this has to be one of the most confusing/poorly documented APIs that I’ve ever run into. Could someone please update the documentation and utilize the same terms everywhere? I think that the API documentation author should have a programmer, who hasn’t seen the API, try to use it using the documentation.

First question: According to the " Making your first request" section of the documentation, https://api.rach.io/1/public/person/info returns a “person id”. I get an id back, but what do I ever do with that? Nothing else seems to utilize it.

The Device calls all seem to want a Device id. Where does one find the device ID?

– Geoff

2 Likes

I have no programming experience and from what I can tell. Once you do your person/info call then you would person/id: which in the example it shows you the Device ID which is what I assume is used through all the Device Calls. Under public/person/id it gives a pretty good example on the return which has zone ids as well.

"devices": [
   {
   "id": "2a5e7d3c-c140-4e2e-91a1-a212a518adc5",
   "status": "ONLINE",

On the left hand side click on public/person/:id then on the right hand side there is a drop down int he response area. You can click the call and see what the response contains.

Hi. I bought a Rachio 3 and connected to my system quite easily. Loved how it was supposed to work but it wouldn’t water because it wasn’t compatible with my master valve. The return period had gone by. Willing to sell for $100. if anyone is interested. pimath@comcast.net. I’ll pay shipping.

Are you sure it is not compatible with your master valve? Is it not 24 VAC? If not, it might still be able to be with some type of relay.