API call to local sprinkler IP?

I am building a little home automation system which includes controlling various water fill projects. Part of this process uses the API call to determine if the sprinklers are running and to not fill/refill things while the sprinklers are running.

I am concerned about my scripts inability to make the API call (my internet down, or Rachio servers down).

Is there anyway to make the API request directly to my sprinkler IP?

I can see the sprinkler is responding on port 80 and was hoping I could get the information without having to break out wireshark.

Thanks

@rjsears This is not currently possible. Gen 2 does have the capability to run a webserver, at some point I would like to expose those capabilities.

:cheers:

3 Likes

Thanks Franz -

I assume that you guys are talking to it and getting that information, and I see it is running a webserver actively so I would be interested in accessing it locally for its status in case my internet goes down!

Thanks

2 Likes

+1 - a local API would make smart home solutions more robust since it would take the internet/cloud out of the equation.

2 Likes

Does Gen 3 allow this?

We have a feature called direct access which is used for setting schedules before the controller is connected to the internet (i.e. new home builds). Once the controller is connected this feature is longer available.

+1 for local device control. Going to the cloud when unnecessary is a fail. Let us use the API interfaced directly to the controller on our own networks…PLEASE!

Any traction here on opening up the local API?

1 Like

Yes +1! Cloud should ALWAYS be ancillary to the core functionality.

1 Like

I am very surprised Rachio does not do this. I will return mine and look for another product.

We need local control because of situations like this:

Right now neither the iOS nor web app works. Looks like our drip-line schedule didn’t run, and it was a hot dry day, so we’ve lost some perennials. I can’t edit or run schedules, but I can run individual zones manually in the iOS app, so that’s what I’m doing.

A local API or control would permit troubleshooting/running schedules while Rachio troubleshoots their servers.

(The iOS app says: “We had a problem loading your data…” and thinks there are no schedules. The web app says “Error Updating Schedule”.)

(As of 7:30 p.m. the iOS app started working again.)

(As of 7:35 p.m. during troubleshooting, the iOS app said there was no history for the Rachio controller, and then went back to “We had a problem loading your data…”)

Looking for a way to locally connect to my Rachio 3 I came to this - almost 7 year old - topic. I’m trying to connect my Domoticz system (on a Raspberry pi) to my irrigation system.

@franz is there any positive update about this?

@franz why don’t you answer our questions to Rachio? I can’t believe all development stand still for 7 years!? Please help us controlling the sprinkler system locally

There are no plans at the moment to support this with our current generation of hardware.

If you want to control through our API please visit https://rachio.readme.io

1 Like