Anyone using Orbit RX-2 wireless rain sensor w/Gen 2?

I’m replacing a Hunter Pro-C controller with a Rachio Gen 2. The Hunter already has an Orbit Model RX-2 wireless sensor. I have read that the Gen 3 supports 24v, but I have a Gen 2. I also read that Gen 2 will support Orbit wireless sensors, just not sure if the RX-2 is one of them. Looking in my controller, I see that the Orbit controller has 2 red, a white, yellow and green wire. Only the red ones are connected to the 24v connections. I’m reading the following article:

Rachio compatibility with Orbit Wireless Rain Sensor

Can I use the RX-2 with my Gen 2? Is anyone out there using it? Here are some pictures.

From the Rachio article:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, your orbit wireless sensor should work. You’ve even linked to / included the right wiring diagram.

The unused green wire is the normally open (NO) contact, leave it unused and you should be all set.

Remember to turn on the Rain sensor on S1 terminal (in case you do end up using S1 as per diagram).

Cheers,
Gene

1 Like

Gene, thanks for the response. What do you mean by “Remember to turn on the Rain sensor on S1 terminal (in case you do end up using S1 as per diagram).”? Do you mean “connect the yellow to S1”?

Also, are both red wires interchangeable?

Yes, as per diagram the yellow wire would be connected to S1, after which you would turn on the rain sensor on that terminal via rachio app.

Yes, the red wires are interchangeable.

3 Likes