All zones are not activating

@DLane

I just tested the solenoid manually, all zones are working fine. Looks like there’s a wiring issue or Controller’s problem.

I also disconnected the rain sensor but seems it’s not the case.

Hey @scarittagle-

Can you switch your common wires to a different terminal, and then try to run a zone?

It’s mess down the Valve box…

GREEN wire is the common wire.

all connectors seems intact except a bit dirty…

@mckynzee what do you mean switch to different terminal?

@scarittagle If you could actually just change the green common from the wire terminal on the controller to a different “C” terminal, that may help us identify if the issue is in the common terminals on the controller, or if it’s the actual common wire itself. There is a good diagram here showing the different “C” terminals!

@mckynzee

Just changed to a different terminal, still doesn’t work.

@scarittagle When is the last time you ran your system successfully? It sounds like it may be something wrong with the common wire itself, but I don’t want to jump to an irrigation issue…

@mckynzee unknown, I just found it out yesterday.

the system usually irrigates at dawn so I don’t know how long it been acting like this. But judging from the moisture in the soil I would say it probably worked 3 days ago.

@mckynzee maybe I should think about rebuild the connector?

Oh I recall that Verizon has recently buried a optic fiber cable in the ground where location is close to the controller. Maybe is the Verizon technician accidentally cut the common wire that is also buried in the ground? (if possible)

1 Like

There is a possibility it was cut @scarittagle- that would make the most sense based on the current values I am seeing. Unfortunately, there isn’t a great way to 100% confirm that this is the issue unless we get an irrigation professional out there. I have a list of professionals that have experience with the controller, if you would like I could direct you to one of them!

2 Likes

no problem, I live in Tampa Bay Area @mckynzee

@scarittagle If you could DM me your zip, I’ll get something sent your way!

1 Like

I keep 300ft of cord so that I can plug into a terminal and carry it to the valve box, is this an option for you? To override the common?

1 Like

@plainsane - I don’t think Verizon would have been as precise as to cut only the common wire. If this is the issue, I’m betting the whole bundle is cut.

@scarittagle - if you have an ohm meter you could disconnect the common and a zone wire from the Rachio unit and then temporarily connect those same two wires together in the valve box by undoing their existing connections. Then using the ohm meter measure resistance across those two wires back at the Rachio unit. If the resistance is infinite (futile) then one, or more than likely both, are cut. No ohm meter, then probably time to call out an irrigation repair company/person. To help keep the time on the job and the repair bill lower, when they show up, take them to where Verizon trenched the cable and have them trace the wiring from the Rachio or the valve box, which ever is closest to the trench. When they get to the trench then dig out the wiring cable, I bet it is sliced in two.

2 Likes

It’s a good point, my common is it’s own stran about 15 feet from where my main bundle as mine broke under ground and that was the path of least resistance.

2 Likes

@plainsane - then that makes sense. With the 300’ of wire you could test both the common and the zone wire sequentially to see if just one wire was broken.

@scarittagle, I just reviewed your controller logs and the current readings indicate you have a cut common (98% certain).

Great idea @DLane! Here’s a good video that details how to use an ohm meter to troubleshoot your sprinkler system.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

@scarittagle - if you do dig up the sprinkler wiring around the Verizon cut be careful that you don’t transfer the problem to the Verizon cable by nicking, creasing or cutting that cable as it could be just above or below the sprinkler wiring. I’d dig by hand tool and very gingerly.

@DLane
@mckynzee
@emil
@plainsane

Thank you so much for your guys help, I already reported it to Verizon and they will cover the cost for the repair for me.

3 Likes

@scarittagle :scream: That’s even better! No problem at all, glad we could help identify the issue!

1 Like