Accounting for seasonal changes in root depth

With root depth having such an impact on the schedule, how do you account for this variation? Do you have to adjust root depth settings multiple times a year?

Not sure this picture is telling you what you think it does. Roots don’t grow and retract throughout the year. I believe this picture is showing root growth or development as a function of speed, not depth.

Turfgrass root growth is affected mainly by soil temperature, moisture, and oxygen. The optimum temperatures for root growth of cool-season grasses are lower than those for shoot growth. Although the optimum temperature range for rooting differs somewhat among turfgrass species, most cool-season turfgrasses produce the best root growth at soil temperatures between 50° and 65°F. When temperatures reach 90°F in the surface inch of soil, Kentucky bluegrass root growth is greatly reduced. Roots of cool-season grasses can grow at soil temperatures below 50°F, but growth slows dramatically as temperatures approach freezing (32°F). Root growth is greatest for cool-season grasses during spring and fall and much reduced during the summer and winter months.

1 Like

I wondered if that might be the point of confusion. I did hear that grass can consume its own roots if it’s out of nutrients - kind of like a person will consume fat or muscle stores.

Sure, if the plant is not receiving enough water and/or nutrients, the roots will essentially shrivel up and die, but it isn’t a seasonal up and down change in the root structure.

IMHO if, in fact, the roots get more shallow in summer, it has to be because the grass is simply not getting enough water. I’d go with the average or desired root depth, myself.

Was in rain and now a drought no rain and I can’t run full cycle manually WHY grass is turning brown