2 Controllers with Munro Smart Pump Relays. Does it work? Yes / No?

“Quick Run” is a type of schedule that Rachio creates on the fly whenever you ask it to manually run anything, it exists only for the duration of the run and would not show up on the schedule list as it is not an actual (recurring) schedule.

What controller did this happen to (is it A or B on the diagram)? What was the status of the second controller at this time?

One thing worth trying is to swap which terminals of the relay (within the smart-box) the M signals from the controllers go to. Connect which ever controller was connected to terminal 4 to terminal 14 and visa versa. Leave everything else as is.

Basically I may have been wrong about allowing controller A or B to supply 24V- signal, Iit may need to be the same controller as that which connected to terminal 4.

1 Like

Interesting on the ‘Quick Run’ as it’s very confusing because the first word in ‘Schedule’ (in large font/ bond letters) - but I get it now. The other controller has nothing going on - both these have nothing on them as I have tried to make them as simple as I can for this troubleshooting process.

Some stats: I have manually started Quick Run jobs ~10 times and it generated faults only 2 of those times. Unfortunately I don’t see a pattern to it yet.

I will try switching terminal 4 and I will keep you posted! Thank you!

So I checked today and that the way wired that way (Terminal 4 connected to the same controller as as the 24V -).

BUT it’s been very strange here: over the last 2 days I had a spike in the amount of Master Valve errors - back to the 3 out of 4 times I get errors. I have done nothing to the system (no wiring adjustment, no schedule adjustments - just random turning on Quick Runs). During that time, I think (not sure) that if I run controller 2 first, then controller 1 within a couple minutes that controller 1 is done/or I force it to stop, controller 1 does not give me a master valve fault error. I am planning on taking the History information from both controllers, merging them into a spreadsheet to see if there is a pattern. Not sure what that will help with.

Been thinking about your findings @AngryIrrigationMan . @franz, could this error be associated with too much current drawn by the master valve? I do seem to remember that “shorted” zone gives a different error, but can’t seem to find a specific documentation to that fact. We may have tried to “fix” the wrong error, zone being overloaded (too much current) rather than disconnected (no current).

Interesting, could be. This could be trending above my pay grade.

:cheers:

@franz any chance of sending it up the chain? :wink:

Firmware person here…

I can’t remember if the reporting is different for over and under current situations but the firmware is looking for both. So potentially this isn’t the controller thinking the zone is over current but actually the zone not drawing enough current and the firmware reporting a fault because it thinks the zone is open.

I’ll try to dig up the actual fault reports from the controller so we can get to the bottom of this.

1 Like

Can you PM me the email address you use for your Rachio account?

:cheers:

1 Like

Ok - all info has been passed along to the great Rachio machine in the sky via @franz :grinning:

FYI - I generated another Master Value fault this morning on the Front controller. So the technicians can look at that error code.

@dgp FYSA: I created at least 3 or 4 additional faults on the Front zone for the logs to be reviewed.

@dgp @franz any chance for an update? Curious as to what the controller is actually seeing.

It must be top secret … :slight_smile:

Any status on this? Smoke signals? SOS? Bat signal? Anything???