Wireless watering

So, what other idea’s devices have you all seen out there? I was looking (for fun) for a wifi/solar valve. Now that would be cool. Seems the stuff that’s out there isn’t very good.

Does anyone know if wireless (or some signal) can travel through the water in the main line? That would be cool technology. Could you use the “water flow” to create power and combine solar and water “power”…

I am also adding a valve and spigot so I can have a hose where I actually want it. Turning on/off a hose with a smart phone has to be “cool”, no? :slight_smile:

Just imagine, a 1/2 dozen well placed wireless / wired dampness sensors placed in your plants and shrubs/lawn and this could truly be the end of ever thinking about watering again. It’ll just “do it”… The money people will save will be incredible.

I spoke to the rachio guys about wireless sensors. Tat is the ultimate way to determine when and how much water is needed in each zone. I have more clay in some areas of my property hen others, I have low areas that need less water then other especially after a heavy rain. If I can sample moisture in the soil, I wouldn’t ever over or under water any zones nor would have to adjust water durations.

I’ve seen something like this for hoses at home depot but it will not link into the other system

@SteinyD although multiple moisture sensors might make your life easier, it could be quite expensive (until they get the prices down). We use a single Toro XtraSmart sensor for our entire yard (1 acre) and it has pretty dramatically varied watering requirements per zone (varying shade, soil, surrounding vegetation, and sprinkler head types). To get by with a single sensor, you pick one zone that tends to dry out quickly and monitor that. When it gets below the threshold, you know that at least that zone needs water.

For all the other zones, you simply calibrate by adjusting the watering time to where each zone appears about the same level of dryness at the time when the monitored zone is below the threshold. It works best to do this during a drought (which we had when I was setting up our system). A good rain will negate your calibration, but if you have a longish dry spell, you can just keep your eye on the moisture reading and see if all the zones are about the same dryness when the threshold is crossed. This can take months of tinkering but its kind of fun. Its not an exact science.