Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations

I hope the hurricane turns out to be a “non event” for you!

1 Like

Thank you @Gene, best wishes to all of you dealing with the hurricanes.

1 Like

@Gene I am seeing precipitation totals basically duplicated across days. Any thoughts on what could be going on here? It started to snow on Sunday night through Monday afternoon. Tuesday was sunny and 0 precipitation.

Appreciate any help!

Here is the WU Site
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCOCASTL57&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history/s20171003/e20171010/mweek

PWS URL
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/archive/2017/10/10/week/KCOCASTL57.html

Sorry for the issue @Hooper, sent you a PM with info about how to switch to beta. Alas I’m experiencing a few issues with memory management (not directly related to what you’ve experienced) and that is why changes haven’t made it yet to general wufyi code.

Gene

For those of us recent Rachio user that are just now discovering that it is possible to use our own personal weatherunderground station for data, is there somewhere that we can go to access the info here without having to go through all 3 years worth of posts??? I have a PC, so the weathersnoop option is a nogo.

See if the following write-up / explanation helps, alternatively just email me your WU station ID to setup@wufyi.com along with your proffered pwsweather station id and/or CWOP station ID (if you’ve set those up already) and I can help you set everything up.

Cheers,
Gene

Thanks for the reply! Ok…I’ve been determined to get this working!!! I have my cron job setup and it emails that it works. I have my PWS setup and it is recording data from my accurite. Now how do I get my PWS to show up in the PWS list in Rachio? That is the only part I can’t figure out. Does it just take a certain amount of time?

BINGO!!! It just appeared so I guess that time is the answer. I’m so excited to be able to use my owner weather station now!! woo-hoo!

3 Likes

Gene - Just a quick note to thank you for your work on this. Just got this all set up in about 30 minutes with my PWS. I love active online communities like this!

Jamie

4 Likes

WU Free API Keys going away Anyone else see this? How will this affect the ability of Gene’s work around to work?

If you are using beta.wufyi.com or in case your account is part of the private (aka closed garden) beta, you should not be effected at all. That being said the raw wufyi.com will need to be upgraded, thanks for the heads up @pup975.

Seems existing keys seem to work for now (not sure for how long), but in case this changes prior to me redoing the site users should simply change the URL to start with beta.wufyi.com instead of just wufyi.com (simply add “beta.” in front of wufyi.com) and everything else should continue working as is. The rest of the old wufyi url can be left as is (no need to get rid of “api=…” section).

Cheers,
Gene

Didn’t even know there was a “beta” version! Just swapped mine over. Thanks! Would be nice if Rachio allowed older users to use the new Weather Intelligence Plus that has WU stations available on it natively.

1 Like

I second this!

I’m 57. Old enough? Lol

2 Likes

from the comments on WUFYI:

This is a part of their current (IBM) business approach with some important “players” that make products with big investments and look to kill competition that relies on the WU service so they can be the only one that uses the WU users PWS network. This is all about money. IBM currently advertise about some hyper-local weather ← this is simply from our PWS they are using the data from… this is the perfect opportunity…

i assume IBM will keep that wufyi.beta up until water sensors from users of smart controllers and other vendors/satelite data providers delivers the same hyperlocal weather forecast and it can do without them. in the end, eventually they want you to pay for your own data… like facebook.

Just a small clarification IBM has purchased (and now owns) Weather Underground and seem to be in the process of restricting access to the API in order to generate profit.

WUFYI (and beta.wufyi.com) are coded by me. Not sure how long I’ll be able to keep the service going, but good news for Rachio users is that the native WU support seems to be a part of WI+ development so a native Rachio support is at least on the horizon.

Meanwhile beta.wufyi code does not rely on the free API keys, just on information WU makes public elsewhere. If the availability of free API keys are the only thing WU is changing in the foreseeable future, than wufyi may end-up running until there is no more need for it.

Cheers,
Gene

3 Likes

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Good thing gen3 is using wunderground.

1 Like

Confused noob here. What is this all about?

tldr: Previously there was no way to directly use weather underground data with Rachio. A workaround using a free API key, previously available from wunderground, is no longer possible. Previously established free keys continue to work so far, but no one knows when this may change.

If you don’t need a workaround to use WU data (such as you having a WI+ support from Rachio), than there is nothing to worry about. For everyone else I recommend to use beta.wufyi.com.

Cheers,
Gene