Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations

Thanks, I did capture events and they do show up on otherwise valid API responses. The good thing is that they seem to show up one at a time, unlike other issue known to me (which effects several readings in a row). It should be possible to filter these out, stay tuned.

Gene

During the testing for @jcloudm I noticed that issue was much more prevalent than I thought. The only difference is that it usually manifests itself as negative jump in the readings, thus not effecting Rachio as much as it could.

Due to this Iā€™ve tried to rush the fix for the problem, but for now Iā€™m in the process of testing it.
Courageous of you can modify the cron-job URL to beta.wufyi.com/?.. to try out the fix ahead of time, for now Iā€™ve setup a testing station for @jcloudm station at BETAMDT pws (link). Iā€™ll continue monitoring it and if everything works without issues, roll out the fix to wufyi / GitHub.

Cheers,
Gene

1 Like

Hi Gene - have you rolled out the updated code? I noticed a lot of cron fails today and wondered if something had changed. Just checking - love using the setup though!

1 Like

Hi coozie, Iā€™m getting ready to roll it out, a test code is running and Iā€™m making sure no unexpected errors creep up. It is a significant deviation from how wufyi has worked up to now, so testing / debugging took longer than expected.

Sorry about numerous failures today. Alas my host is currently under DDoS attack: https://www.dreamhoststatus.com/. The good news is that in the future wufyi continue to function even if the front end is offline. The internal scheduling service Iā€™m testing does not require Apache / Web host to function.

Thanks for kind words, hope you will like the new version even better :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Gene

No worries. That stinks that youā€™re dealing with DDoS. Iā€™m looking forward to the new stuff. If you need help testing just let me know.

1 Like

Hi Gene,

Just fyi, getting numerous cron-job wufyi transfer failures, as others have also reported,

(503 Service Temporarily Unavailable)

Thanks,
-Keith

Sorry guys, Iā€™m painfully aware of issues with the cron-job(s).

Backend redesign is taking a bit longer to optimize / debug. wufyi will be largely moving away from 3rd party cron service.

That doesnā€™t mean Iā€™ve left the legacy code as is. Iā€™ve optimized it a bit and Iā€™m seeing the failure rate improving.

In case Iā€™m still going to be facing major issues with the new backend by tomorrow (hope not), I have a backup plan of parsing the access log for the webhost (which logs 503 errors as well) and executing any failed job(s) which are detected.

Meanwhile the best course of action I could recommend is to simply disable the email notification for the failed cron-job. I know it is not optimal, but I promise it is only temporary.

Thank you,
Gene

2 Likes

No worries Gene, itā€™s not life threatening!

And we wouldnā€™t even have this ā€œissueā€ were it not for all the great work you have done to enable this facility in the first place.

Thank you!

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™m feeling somewhat silly.

Google analytics, of all things, seems to be the primary cause of 503 errors. Iā€™ve been sending anonymous ā€œsuccess / offline / errorā€¦ā€ hits to G.Analytics to keep track of server usage / peak times / results and it used to be the fastest part of the whole process (much faster than WU or AcuRite interface for example). As part of todayā€™s optimization, Iā€™ve disabled google analytics and 503 failure rate dropped to 0ā€¦

Google, youā€™ve let me down.

In any case, Iā€™ll continue debugging the new backend, since it will help avoiding cron-job load peaks in the future, but meanwhile 503 issues appear to be solved.

Gene

3 Likes

Gene - What would be causing these spikes in my data? Iā€™ve seen this happen several times.

@Smarks Sorry Beta changes are not live yet, you are seeing artifacts of wundergroundā€™s official API feed (which leaves much to be desired). Unfortunately Iā€™ve been dealing with a few deadlines at work and Floridian hurricane prep so any big changes are being a bit delayed.

For now feel free to change url you use within your cron job to start with beta.wufyi.com instead of just wufyi.com. This should take care of these spikes.

Take care,
Gene

I hope the hurricane turns out to be a ā€œnon eventā€ for you!

1 Like

Thank you @Gene, best wishes to all of you dealing with the hurricanes.

1 Like

@Gene I am seeing precipitation totals basically duplicated across days. Any thoughts on what could be going on here? It started to snow on Sunday night through Monday afternoon. Tuesday was sunny and 0 precipitation.

Appreciate any help!

Here is the WU Site
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCOCASTL57&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history/s20171003/e20171010/mweek

PWS URL
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/archive/2017/10/10/week/KCOCASTL57.html

Sorry for the issue @Hooper, sent you a PM with info about how to switch to beta. Alas Iā€™m experiencing a few issues with memory management (not directly related to what youā€™ve experienced) and that is why changes havenā€™t made it yet to general wufyi code.

Gene

For those of us recent Rachio user that are just now discovering that it is possible to use our own personal weatherunderground station for data, is there somewhere that we can go to access the info here without having to go through all 3 years worth of posts??? I have a PC, so the weathersnoop option is a nogo.

See if the following write-up / explanation helps, alternatively just email me your WU station ID to setup@wufyi.com along with your proffered pwsweather station id and/or CWOP station ID (if youā€™ve set those up already) and I can help you set everything up.

Cheers,
Gene

Thanks for the reply! Okā€¦Iā€™ve been determined to get this working!!! I have my cron job setup and it emails that it works. I have my PWS setup and it is recording data from my accurite. Now how do I get my PWS to show up in the PWS list in Rachio? That is the only part I canā€™t figure out. Does it just take a certain amount of time?

BINGO!!! It just appeared so I guess that time is the answer. Iā€™m so excited to be able to use my owner weather station now!! woo-hoo!

3 Likes

Gene - Just a quick note to thank you for your work on this. Just got this all set up in about 30 minutes with my PWS. I love active online communities like this!

Jamie

4 Likes