Unit seems to be working, but no zones activate

Hey @Alexanc!
There are a couple things that could be going on here… Do you happen to have photos of your wiring before installing your controller and photos of your current wiring set up? One quick fix could be enabling you master valve in the app within device settings and seeing if that works. If that doesn’t help the wiring pictures would be very helpful! Let me know
McKynzee :rachio:

Tried enabling Master Pump but no dice. Super frustrated. Photos below.

Hey @Alexanc,
Can you take one of your common wires and insert it into the other common terminal by the R1 and R2 slots? So there will be once in each common terminal. Also go ahead and deactivate the master valve, doesn’t seem like you have one so it’s not necessary! Let me know if resolves the issue!

1 Like

@marknk8t Hey Mark - It seems I’m having a similar issue and wondering if you had it resolved. If yes what was the outcome? Thanks!

@Tmg33 it ended up resolving when the common wires were put in two separate terminals! If you could post a photo of your wiring we can start troubleshooting… Did you just install?

@mckynzee - I think it is the issue that @Tmg33 is talking about in this thread that just started yesterday -> Half of 16 zones are suddenly not working (and there are photos attached in that post).

1 Like

@mckynzee and @Dlane @emil … I’ll keep you updated but I just found out I had a hidden / burried rain sensor in line for the zones that stopped working!! As we bought the house not long ago, I never realized that sensor was there.
It is most likely the source of the issue I encountered and will update you all tonight to confirm.

3 Likes

@Tmg33 - that’ll do it 9 out of 10 times. There are wire nuts at Home Depot and Lowe’s that have sealant in them for outdoor use (e.g. sprinkler system lines) if you want to cut that rain sensor out of the common wire. ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/DryConn-Aqua-Orange-Waterproof-Wire-Connectors-4-Pack-62104/202889869 or https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rain-Bird-10-Pack-Brown-Wire-Connectors/3643912) Make sure the connection is good if you cut out the rain sensor as it can be the source of all evil.

2 Likes

@Tmg33 Those in line rain sensors are going to be the death of me! Let me know if you want a recommendation for a professional and I can have someone reach out to you, or you could always go the DIY route @DLane outlined!

3 Likes

I installed a 2nd generation 8 zone controller a few days ago. After setup I tested all zones for 2 minutes using the app and water came from all of them.

I then configured a watering schedule. I decided to test it it started fine and water came in zone 1 so I manually stopped it after a minute or so.

Afterwards I had issues with the controller as the mobile app was telling me the different zones were watering but water was coming out only in zone 4 (last). I tried restarting the controller by cycling the power but that did not help. I removed the schedule and tried watering single zones manually but still water was coming only from the last zone.

The next day I tried starting zone 1 manually using the buttons in the controller and water came out. Afterwards all the zones worked again using the app too.

Also the consumption screen in the app showed 1,000 gallons used while testing the zones for just a few minutes (kind of concerned, I will need to double check the usage on the next water bill)

I am kind of puzzled on what went wrong. I have configured a flexible schedule so we will see if everything works fine in 2 days once the next schedule kicks-in

Hey @javiergarza-

Do you happen to have an indexing valve system?

Same issue. Did you ever get it resolved? Seems like there are a lot of questions on this thread but the only anser is, send us pictures of your wiring. Be great if they put out resolutions.

@Max - I know tmg33 should be working as there was a hidden rain sensor that was breaking the common connection.

If you’ll start a new thread, specify the problem that is occurring and provide information (pictures or screenshots as appropriate), I’m sure someone from the community will respond. As the community is end users, feel free to email support@rachio.com for direct assistance.

1 Like

Just installed today and everything seems to be working except the zones! No clue why, but I guess this problem is somewhat common. Where can I send pictures of my wiring? My system is pretty freaking old and runs off of a pump from an irritation canal instead of city.
Please Help!
-Matt

@Mtrefry - Several suggestions:

1. Create a new post so there aren’t different root causes buried on the same thread - as this thread already has 53 posts.

2. Post pictures to the new thread for end user community support and support@rachio.com for Rachio based support.

3. A pump was mentioned as the water supply. Make sure the Master Valve/Pump start option is enabled in the application as that is required for it to work. And confirm that the pump start relay is connected to the Rachio M/V port.

1 Like

No rain sensor. No master valve. Everything worked great all last year and up until a few days ago. No wiring change. Just stopped working. Manual or automatic.

@Max - Which version Gen 1 or Gen2?

When you say manual, is that using the buttons on the Gen 2 or the remote control of the application?

Do you have access to a valve box where one of the solenoids can be manually turned on via the valve on the solenoid? If the solenoid is manually activated, does that zone water?

Any yard work or new utility installation that could cut the field wires, as happened to other poster earlier this year?

I might email support@rachio.com to see what they’re seeing from the controller.

1 Like

@Max Is this the first time you are turning on your system this season? Have you checked that your water is on for your irrigation system? Has your Rachio worked in the past? I know you said it worked all last year, was this with a different controller or your Rachio controller?

By manual I mean using the remote control.

I have access to the valve box and can turn the zones on manually that way.

No utility work.

Hey @Max-

I’m concerned that your controller is no longer providing power to the terminals for some reason or another. Unless there is an off chance you have a voltmeter handy so we can test, I would recommend you contact our support team with photos of your wiring and a link to this post, and they should be able to get you sorted out quickly.