Smart Hose-based Irrigation

I have a hose-based irrigation system (actually, four zones tied to three spigots: garage, patio, rooftop deck) for my townhouse in Chicago.

If I were going to integrate with a hose-based system, I’d have a controller like the Rach.io system (geo-based, monitoring weather, temp, etc) and then tie in the in-line hose solenoid/flow meter via ZWave/Zigbee/WiFi.

To save energy on the solenoids, I’d probably have a button that enabled the connection for 5 minutes for programming, and then otherwise checked in every couple (6?) hours for updates. That said, a power box that could control a couple solenoids at once and plugged into a wall jack would work too.

The controller could potentially be tied into a home automation system like SmartThings, IFTTT (not ideal since there are no compound triggers e.g. time + weather data), and Apple’s HomeKit to drive time and access:

If motion in the house/yard when Owners are away, turn the sprinklers on for X minutes
Line1: 3 minutes @ 4:00 am - M-Su
Line2: 10 minutes @ 4:05 am - M, W, F
Line3: 5 minutes @ 4:10 am - M,T,Th,Sa
Skip if rain within the last 24 hours > 0.1"
If today’s forecast temperature >90F and no rain, water all systems 4 minutes @ 5am

Love this! I have a rachio controller in my front yard that works amazingly, but my backyard has a single irrigation line run off of a spigot currently handled by Eve aqua. I just set up a second irrigation line and was hoping to use the just release Smart Hose timers but it looks like they have their own, simplified, scheduling interface. Would love it if the smart hose timer:

• Could use the same weather intelligence as the controllers
  • Allowed configuring a “zone” per valve (as an alternative to the current interface)

I believe it does use weather intelligence. Other than that, it currently seems to be fairly basic at this time