Playing in the sprinklers

I realized an added benefit to having my Iro this past weekend. My kid loves playing in the sprinklers. Before I always tried to limit it to a few minutes because of wasting water. But from what I understand of the system, I can let it run for much longer and not worry about wasting too much because my flex schedule will take that added moisture into account when planning out future runs. I would assume that I should try to not pass over the max moisture threshold however. Am I missing anything here with my assumptions of the system?

3 Likes

Ha! Never would have thought of that because we used reclaimed water for irrigation here in FL. Not fun to play in!

You’re not wrong about flex taking extra waterings into account, but I can think of 2 things you might want to consider:

1. Moisture balance per zone is capped at 120% so if you have nozzles with a high PR you’ll reach that pretty easily and the extra water will be considered runoff. So I’d keep play times short.

2. If you really want to be a jerk about it, kids playing will probably throw off your zone efficiency since the spray pattern will be disrupted.

Right. I have the catch cups ready to go to figure out my PR, but I am waiting for a non-windy day. I would not run the sprinkler longer than a normal run time and I would be aware of what the current moisture balance is before running them.[quote=“johnny2678, post:2, topic:4282”]
2) If you really want to be a jerk about it, kids playing will probably throw off your zone efficiency since the spray pattern will be disrupted.
[/quote]
Fortunately, my grass is anything but effecient. It was designed by morons and then there is a big 'ol playset in the middle.

4 Likes

I LOVE the mental image of yelling at my kids playing in the sprinklers because they are ruining my zone efficiency. I could be that jerk sometimes. Funniest thing I’ve seen all day. Well done, sir.

My issue stems from them wanting to stomp in the mud puddles (yards a work in progress). So I guess I’m more concerned about them wasting soil than I am about them wasting water.

And for Modawg2k, I agree, a totally unexpected and honestly awesome bonus feature. I’d hit up Franz with the story and have them add it as a cute marketing anecdote. It really is one of those things you’d never pay for, but totally love having once you do.

2 Likes

Sounds good… :smile: @franz