Indicator lights

The middle front bar indicator that is used for many status indications such as powering up and then being fully connected when it is solid blue is showing an indication I have not seen documented. The normally solid blue indication has started to pulsate between strongly lit and dimly lit. This is NOT the indication seen when the unit is watering. I suspect it is indicating the RF signal is weak as the unit has started to go on and off line the last 2 days. I DO know the RF signal is marginal from issues I had during installation. But once it was connected to server it has stayed consistently connected since installation - about 2 months ago. During this time the bar indicator was a solid brightly lit blue line - accept when it was in a watering cycle. I have checked the physical location for objects that may be attenuating the RF signal - but have noticed no changes that should effect the RF signal strength. Just want to know if anyone knows for sure, what the pulsating intensity of a blue indicator bar means.

Not rachio related, but if you have a Android device (no clue about iOS but sure there is an equal), you might do a site survey using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer just to check what the wifi looks like as you walk around your house. It could also be that a neighbor has a node on the same channel.

Thanks for the quick response. I do have a Android device and use WiFi Analytics to check on signal strength. It shows the Rachio Gen 3 is getting about a 50% signal and 12 Mbps. It also indicates the signal is 80% attenuated when it is having trouble connecting. My WiFi router was provided by my ISP (Verizon at the time) and is around 8 years old. So I am pretty sure upgrading my WiFi network will fix the weak signal - just curious if the pulsating intensity blue bar confirms this is the issue - or maybe there is another issue.

I can’t speak to the pulsing issue, but I would say this, for under $50, you can always add a second wifi point, or even make a bridge between them (but doing so will reduce your wifi bandwidth 50%).

I also can’t speak to the app you mentioned, but I trust the one I suggested, it’s been around for many, many years (in android speak). One thing to make sure is that you stand at that location for a period of time to let the averaging average out.

Did you app show all networks on the wifi? You could have a neighbor on the same channel, or worse, a neighbor that likes to pick a non-standard channel.

You might look to see if your router is A, B, G, N or others, that will effect how the wifi is able to navigate your house.

Rachio 3 Color Codes:

https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003815533-Light-Codes-Rachio-3-

Thanks so much for passing along this indicator light chart. The pulsating blue indicates everything is functioning properly. I just had not looked at it long enough before it started dropping off to realize it would always pulse for dim to bright to dim…

It did reconnect after a day and while connected I measured the WiFi signal strength. I had switched to using a different channel and the signal strength was stronger. This does confirm I do need to work on improving the signal strength if I have this issue again.

I also checked out the WiFi analyzer you sent and like it much better. Thanks for the all the expert advise and help.

2 Likes

@BoomerBen Here is another link, https://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php . I have a neighbor that has decided to not follow this quideline, which they can do, but it just causes issues for everyone else. I have contacted him about it, and he claims that’s they way it came, but I highly doubt that is true.

1, 6, and 11, use it or upset your neighbors, IMO. :slight_smile:

Great advise Eckirchn. Thanks for the 802.11 update. I was actually involved in the early days of this standard, but that was over 20 years ago.

1 Like

Eckirchn - wanted to give you an update on what started this conversation - the Gen 3 kept dropping its connection to the server. This continued to happen from early May until just recently when I installed a second wireless router that I was able to connected to my wired Ethernet that I had added when doing a kitchen remodel 20 years ago (before WiFi). Prior to this I tried using a WiFi extender. The extender provided a stronger RF signal as indicated by the WiFi analyzer smart phone app, you had suggested. But running a speakeasy speed test showed no bandwidth improvement. The second router increased bandwidth significantly and also appears to be favoring different channels. I thought you might be interested in knowing that the extender actually dropped the download speed from 14 to 9.1 mps and dropped the upload speed from 8 to 3.2 mps. As mentioned the signal strength increased from about a 75 % to a 60% attenuation. The second wireless router increased the download speed to 26 mps and the upload speed was now back to 8.7. The attenuation of the signal is about 60% - the same as the wireless extender. While I still do NOT know what improvement (speed, wireless signal strength, different RF channel) was responsible for solving the problem - I thought you might find this interesting. I have an excel spread sheet that captures this, but I am not able to upload it. Be happy to pass it along if interested - would need a personal email address. Mine is bmanny@frontier.com.