Wiring help!

Hello, I’ve checked most of the forum topics haven’t seen this yet:

on terminal 3 and terminal 12 of the previous controller I had there was a yellow wire that goes to a single red wire. Based on the writing on it it shows valve 1 and valve2 and the red wire goes in the bundle that goes into the ground.

I’ve included the pictures, I’m wondering how to wire these last 2 wires??

edit/update: my previous controller is a hunter pro-c

What happens if you do a manual run for “zone 3” or “zone 12”? What does it seem to control? Do you know what parts of the yard all the other zones are for?

I would love a picture inside your valve box if you know where that is. I mean if you just connect the wires exactly as they were on the proc things will work as expected, but I’m HAVE to know what is going on there

1 Like

What you have there is an Add-A-Zone module. That is used when you don’t have an extra wire to run to an added control valve or may have had a broken wire to an existing valve. The module allows for one good control wire to run two valves out in the field. There will be the module at the controller, like in the picture, and a bigger module in the valve box in the field which will connect to two valves.

Mark the yellow wires as they were in the terminal block, zone 3 and 12. Connect them back into terminal 3 and 12 respectively on the Rachio. Do not disconnect them from the red wire going to the field or neither valve will work.

The yellow wires marked 1 and 2 are only for indicators to match the wires out in the field marked 1 and 2 on the other module.

I hope that helps explain the situation.

2 Likes

Has this worked for anyone? I have an Add-a-Zone that worked with my previous controller, but was told by Rachio that my Gen 2 controller is not compatible with an Add-a-Zone. Thanks.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work the same way as it did before as long as it’s wired the same way.

That’s kind of what I thought too, but it’s definitely not working. I talked to Rachio, and they seemed pretty confident it wouldn’t work with the add-a-zone, but then directed me here, and said he thought some people had made it work. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hey @lukerbrenner-
Can you tell me how the controller is acting with that wiring? I’m not exactly sure how Add-A-Zone works, but I agree with @Sprinklerman, if it was working with your old controller I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work now.
McKynzee :rachio:

1 Like