Wireless flow meter certification for potable water

Just wondering why the wireless flow meter is NOT certified for use on a potable water line. We do not have a backflow meter or a separate irrigation line, so I am considering returning my flow meter. Will this be available on later versions??? Thank you!!!

So how does your system work? Almost all places require a backflow device of some kind for irrigation systems…

Either way, there isn’t anything inherently in the ABS material that will harm you upstream.

1 Like

We have one line that comes from the house that also serves to irrigate our yard. After phoning Rachio support to check on the installation, all they could say was that it wasn’t certified for potable water and I would need to contact the city to get an ordinance to install a back flow meter, which is just too much. So I just decided that this wasn’t worth it.

So if the potable water system in the house isn’t protected from the irrigation system via a backflow device of some sort, why do you care about the flow sensor being certified for potable water?

1 Like

My concern, is that there must be a reason why the device is not certified for lines with potable water, I would just like to know why before I proceed with a non certified installation.

@Lisakc - Cost? And probably not considered a use case.

1 Like

Because it was designed for an irrigation system, which in almost any part of the US is required to be behind a backflow device of some kind. Again, there isn’t anything in the ABS material that is going to harm you upstream from the sensor in your house. In many cases certifications like this are just a fee (and a hefty one at that) that companies pay a third party agency like NSF to certify their product. Could it be certified? Most likely, but no need for Rachio to pay the outrageous rates for something that isn’t really designed to be used on a potable water system.

1 Like