Weather Intelligence Plus

@marked It looks like flex daily is pushing out the front yard past 5/13 based on precipitation forecasts. If they don’t materialize it will correct for that as well.

:cheers:

Hi,

I’ve just been reading this thread with interest. I live in Australia and own a Rachio Gen 2. I have top of the line David Vantage Pro 2 with solar radiation sensor, correctly mounted wind and precipitation sensors etc. this feeds into both PWS and WU. Currently my Rachio is set to use my weather station via the PWS network, but this lacks useful information for calculating ET. Why can’t I take advantage of WI+ without having to upgrade a whole new controller in order to access the additional info my weather station publishes via the WU network? This seems simply like a profit making exercise by Rachio to me, which I understand, and I’m happy to pay additional licensing fees… I just want a solution! Please advise?

Chris.

2 Likes

Can anyone comment on this? I’m failing to see exactly what the issue is here, especially with news of the Costco Gen 2 models. I just want the best solution without throwing away a perfectly good controller.

Chris.

Hi, can someone please explain why this simple question continues to be ignored? Surely someone at Rachio HQ can comment on it? @franz?
Cheers,

Chris.

@franz appears to have commented by not commenting. I’d surmise the take away is that Rachio has no intention of implementing WI+ on the Gen 2, translated: no plans to implement at this time.

My situation is marginally different in that my closest NWS station is about 2-mi from me with essentially the same climate, but I manually adjust the ET setup by going to the Zone > Edit > Advanced > Crop Coefficient then making entries there 1x/month based on data gleaned from UC Davis for my turf and from some Netherlands research stuff a nursery buddy of mine turned me onto for my roses. Right now, it all works really well—as long as I remember to make the changes.

I don’t like having to babysit it like this, but as far as I’ve been able to glean from Rachio and other users, the devices simply lack the ability to handle ET better than this if left to be done automatically. It could be an onboard memory capacity issue, a time+cost for programming issue, or a dozen other things.

The bottom line is: I have an opportunity to get a Gen 3 for free, including installation, and I’m having a really hard time justifying it — even for free — since Rachio killed off the wireless flow meter.

1 Like