Watering Start Time: Automatic Sunrise Adjustment

But what happens when when all your zones align and all water in one night? You’d still be starting at the same time…how is that any different?

I manually set the start time for 3am. If they all have to run, I’ll be watering past sunrise. I’d rather water past sunrise than grow a ton of mushrooms.

1 Like

@theflexdude - since you guys are looking at this for a future release, I’d love to see an OFFSET option for “finish by sunrise” Ex. so you could finish watering by sunrise - 30 minutes

It would help me evade the sprinkler police that roam the neighborhood in the early AM to make sure we are watering on our assigned days :wink:

1 Like

What will be worse is when the fungus starts. The whole point of not watering in the evening is to avoid having the grass wet all night. I split my schedule into two, split by odd even, and have it stop before 6am.

I second the need to enhance the app to address this. I ran into this tonight and glad others are talking about it. Add one vote from me.

2 Likes

I agree the “end by” functions are completely worthless. Only way to get anything close to.acceptable requires multiple jumping through hoops to guess and hope it will continue to work. Please make this function actually work to end at a the time specified and be able to calculate based on only the zones that run.

3 Likes

My overall impression (as a first summer Rachio user) is that Flex Daily is not the mode that the average person is intended to use. It seems quirky (such as the bug under discussion here) and the UI is full of stats that don’t pertain to it. It feels like Flex Daily is an afterthought in the product.

My lawn is brown and I am thinking the solution is Flex Monthly not fiddling around with Flex Daily. :frowning:

I’ll add my name to the list of the people that would love to see this updated. If I have one or two zones running on Flex Daily, I don’t want it running from 2:20 - 3:24 am. If that subset of my full system needs ~1 hour to run, I think it would be the hour before sunrise. I also would like to see an offset with positive/negative adjustments around the sunrise time.

It sucks that you feel that way, and I’d argue the opposite…I think the Flex Daily is the driving force behind Rachio, and the other Flex or fixed schedules are there for those that want it, or for the rare cases where flex truly just won’t work (like watering days limited to just 2-3x/week).

My tree’s and grass look better and are probably healthier than they ever were on my Hunter Pro-C clock. It took a while to fill Rachio with the correct information for my soil, nozzle PR, etc…but what took the longest was to re-train my vegetation for the new, and correct watering methods. I adjusted all my root depths over the course of a year, and now are at the default levels.

2 Likes

I dunno, I’m really happy that I switched to Flex Monthly. Now I get emails from Rachio when it adjusts my schedule with an explanation of the change and the rationale. It also shows me neat stats about how it is saving water when it rains, etc. By comparison, Flex Daily just silently edits the schedule all the time which is cool in theory but confusing in practice.

Relatedly, I wish Flex Daily had a feedback loop. I want it to ask me “How is your lawn doing?” and I can tell it that my lawn is brown and it can help me adjust the 1000 variables that go into the calculations. Flex Monthly only has one variable to play with (watering duration) so it is easier to use.

2 Likes

This is my mission in life :wink:

:cheers:

1 Like

Any updates on whether calculated time from sunrise will be updated to only use the sum of the zones being run vs all zones? This also causes conflicts with interval rules setup for Flex Daily as a “full” run pushes me back to watering on odd days (restricted by address in my area).

2 Likes

Same question, i resorted to starting at midnight, since the done by sunrise starts at 10pm on the wrong watering day every time, regardless of run time.

An update would be nice. This is the same issue I’ve been facing since moving to a larger number of zones and a bigger yard.

Has Rachio given up on fixing this issue? Almost seems like it. Brought up in 2018, and have yet to see it fixed (unless I’m missing something).

All resources must have been diverted to fixing the Home Kit issue :joy: :rofl: