Using WUnderground.com to integrate Personal Weather Stations

Hi Emil,
I did not use Weathersnoop (not even sure what that is). I used your step by step guide that delineates how to set up my pws on PWSweather (Can the Iro be connected to a Netatmo weather station?). A day later I also linked my Netatmo to WUnderground using MeteoWare Plus.

That said, I believe that Netatmos that are allowed on the Netatmo Weather Map (mine included) are automatically added to WUnderground. Thereā€™s a somewhat awkward process to ā€œclaimā€ your auto-published station in WU, but I havenā€™t done that yet.

Ah, thanks @pixelknave, I wasnā€™t aware of this. Learn something new everyday :smiley:

Once you do this, please let us know if you have any advice on how to do this for other users.

Best, Emil

Is thete a weathersnoop for windows?

This is what i used to publish my pws

http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/

1 Like

thank you!

hi, i am running the windows app: ā€œkevinā€™s acu-link bridge readerā€
and get strange errors. see attached. please help!

@Ashishnarang, are you still experiencing issues with this?

So in spite of having a lovely Ambient Weather weather station (~$300) on my roof that reports perfectly to Weather Underground, and having spent $200+ on an internet-connected Rachio Iro, currently the only way to automatically link my Iro to my PWS is to spend ANOTHER $100 on hardware and software (per the support article linked above)?!?

ā€œThe core component of this solution is the meteobridge, which cost $20 for the hardware (DLINK DIR-505L from amazon) and the software from meteobridge.com for 74.42 dollars.ā€

Or I guess there are a couple of software-only options that work (really a pain to set up, but might work) if I want to leave a computer up and running 24/7 just to re-report my weather feed to a different service?

PLEASE, Rachio, add support for Weather Underground!!!

3 Likes

@kman, are you referring to WeatherSnoop? Weā€™ve had a few users connect their wunderground stations to the Rachio cloud using WeatherSnoop, but you have to have a Mac in order to do so.

Out of curiosity, what Ambient Weather weather station do you have? Iā€™ll keep searching for PC solutions similar to WeatherSnoop.

Best, Emil

Yes, the software-only solutions I referred to are the WeatherSnoop, for Macs, or the software linked above for PCs: http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/ I have both Macs and PCs, including some that are on 24/7, but those systems all have other functions and I donā€™t want to tie them up running weather software, or be dependent on them to stay on. (I can restart anytime I want when home for movie streaming purposes, for instance, but if it was to crash while I was on vacation, Iā€™d lose all weather connectivity until I got back home, which defeats the purpose!)

I have an Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP Observer. It includes the Observer-IP module automatically collects the stationā€™s data to upload, but which, unfortunately, will only report that data to Weather Underground (which all works brilliantly, except the Iro canā€™t see that data). I could buy the $209 WeatherBridge from Ambient, or essentially building my own, per the instructions on the Meteobridge website (and buying the software license), for around $100, and that would allow uploading the data to any number of weather reporting/recording services, including the ones that are directly supported by Rachio (like CWOP and PWSW). But Iā€™m not eager to spend yet another $100-209 just so I can use the actual weather data thatā€™s already being recorded above my roof.

2 Likes

gotta agree with kmanā€¦ isnā€™t there a way to get the IRO to use weather data from weather underground? Or at the very least, a PC program that can sync weather underground to pwsweather.com?

If no to both, then this should be a priority. The closest weather station is 7 miles away and in FL that might as well be on a different planet. Esp when there are two weather underground stations <1 mile away.

@johnny2678, not at this time.

There are some work arounds, but they take some work to setup. In short, youā€™d need to direct your wunderground PWS to CWOP, then CWOP to PWSweather.com.

Hereā€™s some resources to explore:

Will do some digging again to see if thereā€™s any new workarounds to scrape wunderground data via a PC.

Thanks for the response emil. I found this on github but itā€™s 6 years old so little chance of it working for our needs. The other links you posted are either for a) yet another appliance or b) for those that have a personal weather station set up on their property. I donā€™t desire eitherā€¦ just the ability to pull conditions from a weather station reporting close by.

The Wunderground API allows for 500 free calls / day so there is the potential to write something that will scrape conditions every 5 minutes and post to pwsweather. Need to find what format PWS weather needs for submissionsā€¦ and this seems a little hacky just to get accurate local conditions.

@johnny2678, Iā€™m gonna see if we can hack something together for you. No promises, but Iā€™ll get another set of eyes on it.

1 Like

Iā€™m impatient so I had to give this a shot myself.

github - wupws

Iā€™ve been shipping Weather Underground data to pwsweather for 18 hours now using this script. Check the README for info. Iā€™m no coder and have limited time to support so feel free to branch and improve.

Oh, and yes, it shows up in Rachio after about 10-15 minutes.

6 Likes

Sorry for the workaround but seems like it is magical :wink:

We are evaluating all of our weather data for next year, and will have more options along with higher quality and granularity.

:cheers:

2 Likes

@johnny2678, thanks for sharing! Glad to hear itā€™s working for you. Weā€™ll recommend this to future wunderground users :smile:

2 Likes

I just got an Iro 1st gen and a Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP. Has there been any update on using WU data with the Iro? I have an old Windows laptop to turn into a ā€œhubā€, but most programs only work for acurite weather stations, Linux, or Mac. I might do the DLink mod if there is no other way.

Not the best solution, but for now this is what some of our users have been doing for an integration.

We will be largely expanding our weather service footprint as well as accuracy, so stay tuned. Big plans in this arena :wink: Timeframe is unclear, but something we want to focus a good amount of time on.

:cheers:

1 Like