Texas heat watering help

Hmmm… brought them down a tad but I think this might be also tied to zip code. It’s 100+ and has been for the past 3 weeks… Maybe that’s why lol

Thanks for you help btw!

I would think the crop coefficient would be that difference, which would only alter the frequency.

For those of you in Texas. I started to see my ground crack a little and I started to now water at 0100 AM. I know this is not good, but at least the ground remains wet longer.

Hi there,

This is Dane with Rachio. I was reading through the thread here and wanted to provide some additional information that I hope will help out.

General Tip

• For Flex Monthly and Fixed schedules, it can be helpful to create separate schedules for different plant types. For example, if you have some shrub zones and some grass zones create a schedule for the shrub zones and a separate schedule for the grass zones. Creating a schedule for grass and a schedule for shrubs will help to calculate more ideal frequency and durations with Flex Monthly
  • Use the mobile app to give your Flex Monthly a distinct color on the calendar view if you have multiple schedules running. This can help you better determine the days it will run at a glance.

Advanced Settings

• Most of the advanced settings have impacts to both duration and frequency. For example, decreasing root depth will increase frequency while decreasing the run time.
  • This Help Center article provides a table that outlines the impacts that each advanced setting has on duration and frequency.
  • There are two settings that have single impacts: Crop Coefficient only impacts frequency Nozzle inches per hour rate only impacts duration.

In this way, if you think the schedule should be watering more frequently you can increase the Crop Coefficient. If you want it to water less, decrease crop coefficient. As another user stated, you might try Dynamic Crop Coefficient, which is only available on the mobile app in Advanced Settings.

Another user pointed out that the default root depth might not be accurate. If you left the Nozzle inches at 1.5" and decrease the root depth you will see the frequency of schedule runs increase and the duration decrease which might lead to a more ideal watering schedule.

I recommend only changing one setting at a time, because each settings impacts both duration and frequency it can become challenging to determine the last settings changed, the effect it had, and the next steps that you should take.

To follow-up with that last point, choose to either adjust frequency or duration, one at a time. This will simplify the experience and it should be much easier to achieve your desired results.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

2 Likes

Great, thank you!